R1200RT-P blood bike gear box problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
elephant8869

Re: R1200RT-P blood bike gear box problems

Post by elephant8869 »

Here is part of a BMW Global Press release concerning technical modifications to 2017 water-cooled boxer models:

Technical changes to the liquid-cooled boxer models.

When the new model year starts in August 2016, the engines of the liquid- cooled boxer models will be subject to supplementary technical changes as well as the application of EU4 measures and the addition of sidelights as required by law.

Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. An OBD indicator lamp in the cockpit has been added to meet EU4 requirements.

It seems to indicated a know (by BMW Motorrad) gearbox issue
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

RTman10 wrote: Have the blood bikes got quick shifters ? A pet hate of mine on road bikes anyway and fail to add to the engineering longevity of any bike.

You base your belief on what touring  bike that has the same as Gearshift  Pro.
Gear shift pro is an option on the RT-Ps but we don't have them. Our bikes are basic specification as are most of the new uk police force bikes. I.e. Only rain and road mode, no heated seat, no led headlight rings, and manually adjustable suspension
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You also mention that your charity has decided to go with the FJR. As I stated in earlier posts, the FJR is the weapon of choice for Blood Biking as its the only approved model by the Home Office, so all groups are being encouraged to swap to Yamaha. Our new bike is a FJR and we were encouraged to buy it by the Air Ambulance who we support. Does it follow that the mod to the 2017 RT is to mitigate a gearbox issue, or is that speculation. Are there loads of bikes failing, if so BMW have kept it quiet.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There are no issues with the LC gearbox.  The changes for 2017 is more likely to be down to a cheaper manufacture.  As for anti judder, what judder. The 4 or is it 5 bikes we have identified world wide as having problems to me appears to be clutch related.  Nothing changed on that item.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

Casbar wrote: You also mention that your charity has decided to go with the FJR. As I stated in earlier posts, the FJR is the weapon of choice for Blood Biking as its the only approved model by the Home Office, so all groups are being encouraged to swap to Yamaha. Our new bike is a FJR and we were encouraged to buy it by the Air Ambulance who we support. Does it follow that the mod to the 2017 RT is to mitigate a gearbox issue, or is that speculation. Are there loads of bikes failing, if so BMW have kept it quiet.
Speculation on my part concerning BMWs gear box mods. I met one of your colleagues on Friday night to do a handover and had a look at the new FJR. We've got one on demo at the moment but I haven't had time to ride it. Looking forward to trying the FJRs but can't help feeling it's a great shame we're moving away from BMW.  They've served us very well until the new water cooled bikes arrived. According to the NABB, BMW UK are working on a RT blood bike for home office type approval (part of RSA Section 19 changes). I don't know anything more on that though
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

RTman10 wrote: There are no issues with the LC gearbox.  The changes for 2017 is more likely to be down to a cheaper manufacture.  As for anti judder, what judder. The 4 or is it 5 bikes we have identified world wide as having problems to me appears to be clutch related.  Nothing changed on that item.
You could be right, but BMW Motorrad decided to replace the gearboxes
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Time will tell,or have you got rid of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

If they still have warranty, Id buy one or two (without blue lights and reflectives of course)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

elephant8869 wrote: Speculation on my part concerning BMWs gear box mods. I met one of your colleagues on Friday night to do a handover and had a look at the new FJR. We've got one on demo at the moment but I haven't had time to ride it. Looking forward to trying the FJRs but can't help feeling it's a great shame we're moving away from BMW.  They've served us very well until the new water cooled bikes arrived. According to the NABB, BMW UK are working on a RT blood bike for home office type approval (part of RSA Section 19 changes). I don't know anything more on that though

BMW and Kawasaki have been working on type approval for over a year now, but still haven't yet got approval. Section 19 changes have been ongoing also for nearly two years, it was supposed to be sorted in 2016, but got pushed again, so nothing on the horizon. Plus for groups to ride under Section 19 approval if it comes, will mean very expensive training for each individual, in the region of a couple of grand I heard. So many groups won't bother. Insurance also goes up massively which again for many groups it just isn't worth it.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

RTman10 wrote: Time will tell,or have you got rid of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We will keep the bikes at the moment but they'll be phased out with new FJRs
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

Casbar wrote:
BMW and Kawasaki have been working on type approval for over a year now, but still haven't yet got approval. Section 19 changes have been ongoing also for nearly two years, it was supposed to be sorted in 2016, but got pushed again, so nothing on the horizon. Plus for groups to ride under Section 19 approval if it comes, will mean very expensive training for each individual, in the region of a couple of grand I heard. So many groups won't bother. Insurance also goes up massively which again for many groups it just isn't worth it.
I was speaking to a blue light instructor and they have been told Section 19 will be enacted in April 2017....
Last edited by elephant8869 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.