Greetings and introduction

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Paggers

Greetings and introduction

Post by Paggers »

Hi folks - I'm a new recruit to the forum so thought I would say 'hi' and introduce myself.

I have just placed an order for a new R1200RT LE and waiting for a delivery date - very excited as you can imagine. I currently ride a 2013 R1200GS TE which is a great bike but I commute by bike a lot and have finally decided to move to a machine with more weather protection, a bit more range, and which is slightly smoother at motorway speeds.

This will be my fourth BMW - having owned a 2008 F800ST, a 2010 R1200GS and then the current 2013 'GS - but my first proper touring bike.

I am in my late 40s and have held a bike licence since completing a Direct Access course in 2004. I am based in Warrington, which for the geographically challenged (among which I count myself) is between Manchester and Liverpool in the North-West of England.

I know they all look the same but I will try and post up some pictures when I finally get my hands on her.

~Paggers
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Re: Greetings and introduction

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome to you.  With your previous ownership history you will no doubt be a useful addition to our joint knowledge base.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Welcome. Some good banter on here. So hope you are not the sensitive sort  ;)
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

I'm relatively new too and not actually posted much about myself.

just got a new to me 2012 1200 RT SE and m previous bikes were 1997 1100RT and an 80's R80RT. I am sad in that i have never owned anything other than a BMW motorcycle. Why would i?

i am absolutely loving this new bike and can only imagine the feelings and emotions you have waiting for a brand spanking new one.

Hope its soon.
2012 SE
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Welcome aboard.  Do you still get daylight that far North?
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Welcome Paggers. I have found my RT superb - think you will love it. There's a few Northern Lads on this Site.
Sooty57

Post by Sooty57 »

Another newbie here. Will be trading in my 2014 F800GT for a 2014 R1200RT LE in a few days.  Bought the 800 to get back into 'proper' biking after a break of nearly 30 years (after writing off a kamikaze Cortina with my R80/7 on the day of the Live Aid concert).

Lost count of the bikes I had in my youth, but BMW history is  as follows:
In late 1970's - immaculate 1951 R25 (wish I still had that one), sold to purchase a dog of an R90S that spent more time in pieces than on the road.
Early to mid 1980's - s/h R80/7 that I commuted between Norwich and Swansea every week
2002 to 2005 - BMW C1 (yes, the much ridiculed one with the roof). Fantastic commuter machine, years ahead of its time, poorly marketed by BMW, usually dismissed by those who had never ridden one. The 'safety' aspect of this machine persuaded SWMBO that it was okay for me to get back on two wheels, which means it will always hold a place in my heart.
A couple of commuter scoots later the F800GT was purchased. My good lady came out on the back and found she actually enjoyed it. Regular 'breakfast meets' with my old biking mates, who nearly all ride Beemers now because we've reached that funny age, set the seed in her mind that she wants to go touring. After seeing that the R1200RT has a heated seat, there was no other bike for her - and who am I to argue if she wants me to get one.
;)

So here's looking forward to many happy miles on the R1200RT for this grey-haired old bugger. Just hope the pound doesn't drop too much post-brexit so we can still pursue the dream of touring Europe.
God forbid that the post-Brexit Poud and post-Trump Dollar drop so far that all we can afford to ride are HDs.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome.  Want to try Europe.  Join me in May, the price was set pre Brexit.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Welcome to the forum Paggers, leonjennings & Sooty57!👍😀
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote: Welcome to the forum Paggers, leonjennings & Sooty57!👍😀

What he said +1
;)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Quick update with the news that my new bike was due to arrive at the dealers today (sales guy's day off today so I won't know for certain until I talk to him tomorrow). They have promised to try and turn it around in time for me to collect on Saturday. To say I am excited would be serious understatement!
:beee:
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X