Fitted a New Aftermarket Screen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Reaper999

Fitted a New Aftermarket Screen

Post by Reaper999 »

Due to there being a fair few scratches and quite a bit of discolouration on the factory fit screen, which meant it was difficult to see through when raised and travelling at motorway speeds I decided to go for a slightly taller and wider aftermarket screen.

So after having got over the original shock of just how expensive these things are, I found this ImageLeft side is the Aftermarket Screen and Right is the Original
  The new one has a light tint and seems pretty well made although the fitting holes are considerably larger than the original so takes a bit of fettling to get it lined up properly.

All fitted now.
ImageFitted a New Aftermarket Screen
First impressions seem pretty good but I've yet to have the chance to test it at motorway speeds.
Last edited by Reaper999 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stayingupright

Re: Fitted a New Aftermarket Screen

Post by stayingupright »

Something I may consider in the future. How much was it?
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

And which screen is it?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Can't say I've ever looked through a screen on a bike, I always set it to deflect. If its tinted isn't that going to cause issues at night if your looking through it?
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

It was £91 including the delivery from a Company called Dreamscreen.

As for the tint causing issues at night, I really can't see that being a problem.
It's a light tint and pretty much every modern car you drive will have some form of tint in the windscreen nowadays and I've never heard of it being an issue with a car.
I tend to ride with a tinted Visor anyway and again never had issue with night time visibility, it just cuts down on glare and reflection from other vehicles in my opinion.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What you will get at night it an upside down view of you dash reflecting in it.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

RTman10 wrote: What you will get at night it an upside down view of you dash reflecting in it.
Have to admit I was slightly concerned by your comment so went out to the garage and switched the bikes ignition on and then turned the garage lights off to test it out for myself.
Yes there is indeed some reflection in each corner of the lowest section of the screen when it's set at it's lowest point. As you raise the screen to it's full height then the reflection seems to vanish.
At it's lowest setting I don't think I'll find the reflection too intrusive as it's not really any different to what I used to get on my old Fireblade or Fazer 1000 so I can live with that, but YES I can confirm that there is indeed some minor reflection from the gauges at night.
However it's a hell of lot clearer to look through than the discoloured factory fit item that I took off.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You ride with a tinted visor at night - better hope Mr plod doesn't stop you.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Casbar wrote: You ride with a tinted visor at night - better hope Mr plod doesn't stop you.
Have you got anything to say that isnt negative ?

What I choose to ride with in terms of my lid & visor combo is entirely my choice, same as it would be for yourself.
So long as vision is not obstructed by what ever your using and it's defined as "road legal" then there are no issues.
Last edited by Reaper999 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Does this clear things up.  Maybe not

[size=16px]What are the laws surrounding tinted motorcycle visors?[size=13px]The laws surrounding motorcycle visors in the UK are cloudy at best because there are no hard and fast rules in place.[/size]
[size=13px]The legal rule for just how tinted your visor can be says it must allow a light transmission of 70 per cent.[/size]
[size=13px]As a general rule, motorcycle riders can wear a tinted visor in daylight however according to UK ‘Fitness to drive’ rules, you should not use tinted visors at night or in poor visibility.[/size]
[size=13px]So, they’re the rules, but trying to clarify what constitutes poor visibility is pretty difficult and putting a number on just how much light your visor lets through is difficult as well.[/size]
[size=13px]When you couple that with multiple police forces across the country who all take slightly different approaches to tinted visors, it makes the whole thing quite complicated for riders in the UK.[/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Reaper999 wrote: Have you got anything to say that isnt negative ?

What I choose to ride with in terms of my lid & visor combo is entirely my choice, same as it would be for yourself.
So long as vision is not obstructed by what ever your using and it's defined as "road legal" then there are no issues.

Lets get one thing straight, I don't give a flying toss what you choose to ride with. I don't think I was being negative saying that I look over the screen rather than through it. Is it also being negative saying you better hope you don't get stopped by plod, I was making the point that if something happened they would look for any indiscretion, and they do have meters that can tell the tint of windscreens and I guess visors. Think your screen looks lovely and hope you both are happy together.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Casbar wrote:
Lets get one thing straight, I don't give a flying toss what you choose to ride with. I don't think I was being negative saying that I look over the screen rather than through it. Is it also being negative saying you better hope you don't get stopped by plod, I was making the point that if something happened they would look for any indiscretion, and they do have meters that can tell the tint of windscreens and I guess visors. Think your screen looks lovely and hope you both are happy together.
Get over yourself you smug numpty.

So far everything you've chosen to write has come accross as negative and condescending.
However having had a very quick look through some of your previous posts in other threads that just seems to be your general approach though doesn't it ?
Quite frankly as a Retired Police Officer myself I'm fully aquanited with UK legislation, the manner in which it's interpreted by UK Police Forces (Yes as posted by RTman10 various peices of legislation relating to the Road Traffic Act and several other Act's are indeed often enforced, in a different manner from one Police Force to the next) and don't need unsolicited advice from you on what I should do or be worried about if as you so elequently put it I ever "get stopped by plod".
Thanks for your delightful and friendly input, have lovely evening.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Reaper999 wrote: Get over yourself you smug numpty.

So far everything you've chosen to write has come accross as negative and condescending.
However having had a very quick look through some of your previous posts in other threads that just seems to be your general approach though doesn't it ?
Quite frankly as a Retired Police Officer myself I'm fully aquanited with UK legislation, the manner in which it's interpreted by UK Police Forces (Yes as posted by RTman10 various peices of legislation relating to the Road Traffic Act and several other Act's are indeed often enforced, in a different manner from one Police Force to the next) and don't need unsolicited advice from you on what I should do or be worried about if as you so elequently put it I ever "get stopped by plod".
Thanks for your delightful and friendly input, have lovely evening.

[size=78%]I will have a lovely evening. Still don't think I was being negative or smug. And I'm certainly don't consider myself to be a numpty but hey ho. I was also not using plod as a derogatory term, I have a lot of friends that are serving and ex Police Officers. [/size]
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Come on ladies I do love a good hissy fit!

Your turn now Reaper999 - Handbag at the ready and swing!!!!!!

As an aside Reaper999 I'm also a retired Police Officer but we never met as I'm sure I would have remembered dealing with the complaints. Lol.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: Come on ladies I do love a good hissy fit!

Your turn now Reaper999 - Handbag at the ready and swing!!!!!!

As an aside Reaper999 I'm also a retired Police Officer but we never met as I'm sure I would have remembered dealing with the complaints. Lol.

I'm done  8)  Ironically at one point I got accepted for Gloucestershire constabulary, but I was in the Army and got promoted again so didn't leave. So I am a retired Army Officer, so not a numpty  :)  Peace and goodwill to all and Merry Christmas