Fitted a New Aftermarket Screen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Reaper999

Re: Fitted a New Aftermarket Screen

Post by Reaper999 »

MacJ wrote: As an aside Reaper999 I'm also a retired Police Officer but we never met as I'm sure I would have remembered dealing with the complaints. Lol.
If anyone got through their service without picking up at least a few complaints then you just wernt doing the JOB properly  :))
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the subject of visors, I was told that if you use anything other than a clear one, you must carry a clear replacement visor.

You may get caught out in conditions of poor visibility during the day or unexpectedly at night.
RTman10 wrote:As a general rule, motorcycle riders can wear a tinted visor in daylight however according to UK ‘Fitness to drive’ rules, you should not use tinted visors at night or in poor visibility.
Looks like something we agree on.
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

DaygloDavid wrote: On the subject of visors, I was told that if you use anything other than a clear one, you must carry a clear replacement visor.

You may get caught out in conditions of poor visibility during the day or unexpectedly at night.
Thats very true, I have a "Tinted" Visor on my current lid as i previously stated, NOT BLACK as some would seemed to have assumed however yes it's a good idea to carry a spare and if I'm doing any great distance I do tend to carry the original visor that came with my ARAI along with a small first aid kit, a few additional tools, some nitrile gloves, etc as part of my general spares kit but have to admit I don't tend to bother on shorter runs.

Yes I've also heard of one or two Officers confiscating BLACK Visors as evidence of alledged offence but that was some years ago now.
Lets face it, with the ongoing cut back to Policing your often lucky to get a Traffic Officer arrive at a serious RTA let alone be seen on general patrol although that being said I suppose we are now in December so what ever various Forces have left of their traffic departments I have no doubt they will be currently getting drafted for the annual clamp down on Drink & Drug Driving.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The advice I was given about visors, was in preparation for a RoSPA test, to be conducted by an ex-police motorcyclist.

That's good enough & clear enough for me.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I've just replace the clear visor on my 2 year old Shoei as I'd put a couple of deep scratches in it. It wasn't until I compared the old and new that I realised how bad the old one was!
Sadly neglected bit of kit, the visor.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surely all this tinted visor thing is old hat these days.  I have a small button on the of my lid.  Slide it forward when the sun comes out and Ha Ho I hsve a tinted visor.  Push back and all,is clear. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Surely all this tinted visor thing is old hat these days.  I have a small button on the of my lid.  Slide it forward when the sun comes out and Ha Ho I hsve a tinted visor.  Push back and all,is clear.

It's magic...
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Currently got a Shoei Mutiltec, when I replace it, will probably go for a Shoei Neotec with integrated sun visor.

At least for the time being, the Shoei visor mechanism is one of the easiest to change.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I've got integrated sun visor. Sometimes looking thru with the sun visor deployed, then visor with pinlock, then screen is too much. Flip the front and put the shades on. :-)
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

MacJ wrote:

Sadly neglected bit of kit, the visor.

That reminds me, I need to go and...
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Mike wrote: I've got integrated sun visor. Sometimes looking thru with the sun visor deployed, then visor with pinlock, then screen is too much. Flip the front and put the shades on. :-)
There was a time in my youth when I wore shades, until I got hit fairly and squarely in the face by a very large bumble bee at 70mph....

Visor now...
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Lynxfixer

Post by Lynxfixer »

Casbar wrote:
I'm done  8)  Ironically at one point I got accepted for Gloucestershire constabulary, but I was in the Army and got promoted again so didn't leave. So I am a retired Army Officer, so not a numpty  :)  Peace and goodwill to all and Merry Christmas

The words Army Officer and numpty are not necessarily mutually exclusive, just saying!! :pee:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lynxfixer wrote:
The words Army Officer and numpty are not necessarily mutually exclusive, just saying!! :pee:

You can't assume someone is a numpty from posts on a forum, if that was the case a queue would have to be formed by most users of forums.  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Somebody calling me a numpty?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Somebody calling me a numpty?

If the cap fits  8)