Considering a R1200RT...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DBLXX

Re: Considering a R1200RT...

Post by DBLXX »

I gave this up >>

For this >>

Then gave up that for this >>

The Harley was way too unrefined for me.  I like taking long trips - 2 to 5 thousand miles in a weeks time.  I am not the guy to cruise around the neighborhood 500 times blasting from point A to point B and back...then rinse and repeat.  The Harley was beautiful and VERY fun to ride but when I took it on a tour of New England (3,300 miles in 8 days) it was not the bike for me.

The K1600GTL was PERFECT!!!!!  But decided it was a touch too heavy, a touch too big, and a touch too fast for my liking.  So....I now have the R1200RT which should be the perfect balance.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I traded a 2014 CVO Road King for my RT. My wife much prefers the RT for touring. And to be honest, so do I  8)
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

P.S. - My favorite bike ever....just no damn soul and got really really boring to ride.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

thats not a bike its a caddy!
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Casbar wrote: thats not a bike its a caddy!

Exactly!

I went from the Goldwing to this >>

Ditched the Miata for this >>

leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

just get an RT!!!!!
Nuf said

2012 SE
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

apehair wrote: RT,

Regarding your earlier comment about a reluctance to do U-turns on narrow roads, google a few videos of the technique of shifting your weight onto the outside edge of the seat, and then try it out on smaller bike a few times.  It helps to keep imagining yourself doing it. Inner U-Turn.  :-)  Eventually you'll surprise yourself and do it.  And then you'll keep doing it even when you don't have to because it's so cool. It's more of a mental block than anything else. 

Regarding the Harley vs RT decision, it all depends on why you're riding a motorcycle.  I've owned 15 Harleys over the years, and half a dozen BMW's. Quite a few Ducatis, too. In every respect, my 2016 RT is far superior to anything Harley offers except the VROD.  (The VROD motor is a beast.  Doesn't turn worth a damn, but does it ever haul ass in a straight line!)  But comparing the RT to the other bikes Harley makes, the RT handles far better.  It's got better build quality.  Far better wind protection.  More comfortable on a long ride.  Broader power band. Smoother.  Easier to move around in a garage. 

But if I had to keep only one bike, I'd keep my Harley.  Makes no sense, but I prefer riding my underpowered, handles-for-shit, floorboard-scraping, loud, vibrating, obnoxious Harley.  It's the essence of motorcycling for me.  I wouldn't be able to ride as far in a day, I'd be in a lot more pain, I wouldn't enjoy the twisties nearly as much, but I'd have a smile on my face.

Lucky for me, I can afford both my 2016 RT and my Harley.  So, the question to ask yourself is, what matters the most to you on a ride?  The RT is smooth, capable, and in all ways superb.  If that's what you care about the most, you'll enjoy it.  If what makes a ride for you is the V-Twin rumble, the chrome, the paint, the heft of the controls, the other "flaws" of a Harley, you might get bored with the RT.

Regarding your questions about the panniers, you get used to standing beside them when you open them, LOL.  They fit a lot more then you'd think, and it's easier to get to it all.  And this is only an old man's concern, but it's easier on your back to work with them.  Better angle. 

Finally, around the stereo, I have an XM radio subscription on my RT, and feed it into a BlueTooth device attached to my helmet.  Much better than external speakers, to my ears.

Good luck with your decision,

ape

I have been watching some youtube videos on slow speed maneuvers with heavy bikes. I've seen some of the police training videos and have great respect for what they can do with their bikes! I have two rider training courses I'm taking this upcoming season and I'm currently reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough( a good read, so far). I'm glad to hear about your comment regarding the wind protection and comfort. Although my test ride was short on the RT, the riding position was very comfortable and felt "natural". However, I can't imagine anything being more comfortable than my ultra limited. My longest day in the saddle has been 900 mi and this was preceded by multiple 400-600 mi days...felt like a million bucks. I do have some back issues and this is always a concern. As far as the panniers go, I'm sure I could live with it. I like the look of the soft luggage that you have in place of the hard top box. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that an RT is in my future, even if I keep the Harley. I have three bikes at current, but cannot have four. What I am likely to do is sell one of them and replace it with either a new or used RT. I'd like to say that this is going to happen now, but it will take some time. 
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

DBLXX wrote: I gave this up >>

For this >>

Then gave up that for this >>

The Harley was way too unrefined for me.  I like taking long trips - 2 to 5 thousand miles in a weeks time.  I am not the guy to cruise around the neighborhood 500 times blasting from point A to point B and back...then rinse and repeat.  The Harley was beautiful and VERY fun to ride but when I took it on a tour of New England (3,300 miles in 8 days) it was not the bike for me.

The K1600GTL was PERFECT!!!!!  But decided it was a touch too heavy, a touch too big, and a touch too fast for my liking.  So....I now have the R1200RT which should be the perfect balance.

You must have seen quite a bit of New England in those 8 days! I love the color of your current RT.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

DBLXX wrote: P.S. - My favorite bike ever....just no damn soul and got really really boring to ride.

I rented one for a few days out of Las Vegas a while back. Great bike, but talk about heavy!
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

DBLXX wrote: See for yourself my friend >>>>

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/dblxx/library/2014%20Maine

Thanks! those were some good shots. I've still yet to do Mt Washington Rd. This year, absolutely. Did you guys happen to go through/to Newburyport MA?