New MTC Exhaust for the Earlier R1200RT's

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Reaper999

New MTC Exhaust for the Earlier R1200RT's

Post by Reaper999 »

Now before I go any further, I know this won't be of interest to some but others who dislike the look and sound of the standard exhaust like myself, may find it helpful.

Personally I always felt the the Exhaust Can on the RT looked like BMW had taken their design ques from a steel dustbin and used similar dimensions. Yes it does the job perfectly well and it's increadibly quiet in comparison to most other bikes but it's just not for me I'm afraid.

So after deciding that I only really wanted an end can, not a full system and with a maxmum budget of £200 I started to look to see what was available. The answer was not alot.
However I came accross MTC (Max Torque Cans) and was drawn to the fact that it was operated by part of the Original design and manufacturing team from Blue Flame.
So I opted for the Road Legal Round Can with the removable baffle and polished stainless steel finish and this is what you get.

As you can see theres a considerable differance in size and weight over the bulky original.

With the baffle in the noise from the exhaust isnt that different from the standard and with the baflle removed I'd describe it as being similar in noise levels to that of a standard sports bike so it's definately more noticeable but not to the point of being obnoxious or likely to upset the neighbours.
When riding pick up seems slightly improved and it just feels a bit more brisk accross the rev range but it doesnt offer hugely noticeable power gains but I wasnt expecting it to really.
For me it was more about improving the looks and sound of the bike so overall I'm pretty happy with it as it all seems well made and robust.
guest2360

Re: New MTC Exhaust for the Earlier R1200RT's

Post by guest2360 »

Now if anybody wants a new (never used) OEM end can for a 2005 to 09. I have one wrapped up in the attic.  Yours for £65.00 but you need to pick it up. Full chrome finish of course.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bit of a fan of after market cans, think yours looks cool and a very good price. I fitted the Akra can to my LC, which I imported from a German BMW dealer, no improvement in performance, but sounds nicer. Always had Vance and Hines on my Harleys, but on Harleys you really needed to map them properly as they all ran rich from the factory.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Thanks.
It was actually a bit under my budget in the end at £155 with the delivery although they did send me one for a later model by mistake at first. In fairness to MTC though they sorted it all out at their expense and sent me one of their hoodies and a T-shirt as an appolgy.
Nice thing about the BMW is that it seems to adapt pretty well to the new end cans without the need for expensive remaps and dyno time.