Datatag registration on new bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Datatag registration on new bike

Post by Paggers »

Once I started taking my new RT to bits I immediately noticed a Datatag sticker on the frame under the seat. Did a quick Google and discovered that it is standard on all BMWs. Yet another thing that the dealership failed to mention.

My question is: will the bike already have been registered in my name with Datatag by BMW as part of the purchase or do I need to go ahead and sort that out myself? I have checked the file that came with the bike and not a single piece of paperwork referring to it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
tony23

Re: Datatag registration on new bike

Post by tony23 »

Should have been registered by the dealer, mine was. At some point you will get a confirmation letter from Datatag confirming the details.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

You are not alone. my dealer failed to put the tamperproof sticker on only fitting the domed gel 'datatag' sticker on the tank in front of the filler. There should also be parts etched by the dealer with the unique  ref #.  This is the scheme organised by the MCIA and adopted by the manufacturers.
http://www.masterscheme.org/

If the supplying dealer has bothered to register your bike you should have the remainder of the special etch fluid, the pot of micro dots and the paperwork. Datatag will confirm you are registered if you phone them. My dealer said to me 'we never fit them'. So much for security eh?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks, so hopefully I will get something through the post at some point (Christmas post not withstanding).

There is certainly no visible, external marker to indicate that the bike has been tagged - which seems to me to rather defeat the objective as a deterrent. I might take a look and see if I can get a sticker direct from datatag to stick somewhere not too horrific where it can be seen.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Look on the edges of the panels for the etchings.  Most don't like them in sight on the paintwork hence the big gel sticker on the tank.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Look on the edges of the panels for the etchings.  Most don't like them in sight on the paintwork hence the big gel sticker on the tank.

Think you'll find all new bikes from around 2014 are data tagged. Its an agreement between manufacturers.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

Casbar wrote:
Think you'll find all new bikes from around 2014 are data tagged. Its an agreement between manufacturers.
It may be an agreement by manufactures to join the data tag master scheme but its down to the dealers to implement it. Here lies the problem, there are conscientious dealers and then there are the rest. Cannons of Braintree being of the latter.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

My RT supplied by Cannon was tagged and the email came through a few days after the bike.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: My RT supplied by Cannon was tagged and the email came through a few days after the bike.
That's good to hear. I created a stink back in April when mine was new. They had not done it correctly because 'most people don't want want a visible sticker... so we throw it away'. They obviously listened to my argument which pointed out that the first line of  security is a visible deterrent.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Vince Prince wrote: That's good to hear. I created a stink back in April when mine was new. They had not done it correctly because 'most people don't want want a visible sticker... so we throw it away'. They obviously listened to my argument which pointed out that the first line of  security is a visible deterrent.

My 2014 Rt has all the stickers, as did my 2014 Harley, so guess some get it right
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

On my bike, I can see the markings with a UV torch.

I needed to register it with Datatag, and send them a copy of the marking. My bike wasn't new, but had never been registered with them, so I didn't have to pay.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Yep, just UV tested mine and it's datatagged all over the place.

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It has been just over a week since I picked up the bike and nothing from Datatag - but I guess it could be delayed in the post due to Christmas. I reckon I'll give them a call and make sure the dealer did register the bike. At least I finally located the ID sticker - it's on the swing arm.
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

I recently purchased a 15 RTW and paid the £15,50 for registration to DataTag and have received my documents from them. I can only locate 2 etchings on my bike, so will be purchasing some more ASAP.
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know if you can do that as each kit is unique