How did they make it so good!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
paulh

Post by paulh »

Yeah I know I'm in the honeymoon period having only owned the bike for a few days but what a bike it is.

I've ridden all sorts over the years and always looked at the RT as a bike you bought with your head rather than your heart and perhaps that holds true for many, but I have to say I've been blown away over the last few days by how good the bike is.  I almost can't believe I've been riding in 2 degree temperatures and feel (ice and snow aside) I could ride it all year round. :) )
On top of that, it turns into corners better than my RR did and I'm getting 53mpg ... oh yes and it's got places to put stuff things rather than down my jacket!  :wonder:

OK so it doesn't have blistering pace but it's surprised me already when the speedo says about 10mph more than I thought I was doing.  I'm not in the least surprised after the last few days that many refer to the RT as the best all rounder on the planet.

Happy Christmas everbody  8)
Last edited by paulh on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhr43

Re: How did they make it so good!

Post by mhr43 »

I agree with paulh. I have now  had mine for 16 months. It is a joy to ride, handles superbly and feel as light as a feather after my HD Road King. I enjoy every minute riding it. (and looking at it, and cleaning it and......)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Have to agree, I really like the RT, had mine since January but a 2014 model. But for me its a very good workhorse, but its not a cool bike. My Harley CVO Road King was a cool bike, when you stopped people would come and admire. That doesn't happen with a RT. The only similarity is, nearly as many bikers ignore you on a RT as they used to on a Harley  8)
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Can I agree with everyone else on this thread?

I love my first RT. Only had it three months though (and still not had its first service yet)

If I had of been thirty years younger I may well have chosen something else entirely. It suits me for my biking needs and more.

It's as quick as I need it to be.
It's as good on fuel as I could hope for.
It's as comfortable as any other bike I've ridden, and more.
It's got all the toys I could want.
My next bike will probably be another RT
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Earlier this year on my way to Orkney I pulled into a cafe that had a row of Harley's parked up.  When I went back to my RT it was surrounded by these strange blokes with strange writing all over them and wearing helmets that were definitely not Euro 22.5 certified.
I didn't bother looking at their bikes.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Earlier this year on my way to Orkney I pulled into a cafe that had a row of Harley's parked up.  When I went back to my RT it was surrounded by these strange blokes with strange writing all over them and wearing helmets that were definitely not Euro 22.5 certified.
I didn't bother looking at their bikes.

Wild Hogs I expect  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I did notice that on one tank nicely painted it said Just Another Fu..ing Harley.  So you're probably right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

It is good clean fun to knock other bikes and their riders, particularly Harleys.  I now do it  (tongue in cheek) whenever I can.  I must however say,  I very much enjoyed my 18 years of Harley ownership. I never quite felt I fitted in with the "Chapter scene" but I met some very nice, decent people and enjoyed their company. There is something 'special' about the big Harley Tourers, but I am even more happy on my RT!
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The GS community has a similar saying...

..which is," There are two sorts of riders. Those who have ridden the GS and know that it's fantastic and those that have not, and know that it's rubbish"

John Bentall
paulh

Post by paulh »

beemerboy9 wrote: The GS community has a similar saying...

..which is," There are two sorts of riders. Those who have ridden the GS and know that it's fantastic and those that have not, and know that it's rubbish"
I have owned a GS and despite the many similarities .... it's no RT  :) . The weather protection on the RT is in another league and aside from minor off road capability, there's not much I can think of that that the GS can do that the RT can't do better.  But then again ... I'm biased  :-*
ds99

Post by ds99 »

My 2007 R1200RT is one of the best bikes I have ever owned, although it hasn't gone wrong yet, so if there are any large repair bills that might change my opinion.

guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

RT's are off road bikes as well.
Attachments
15578123_1873733086192270_409773025323329330_o-1.jpg
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

[quote when you stopped people would come and admire. That doesn't happen with a RT.

It does with the Iconic 😜
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

paulh wrote: I have owned a GS and despite the many similarities .... it's no RT  :) . The weather protection on the RT is in another league and aside from minor off road capability, there's not much I can think of that that the GS can do that the RT can't do better.  But then again ... I'm biased  :-*

Try following a couple of guys down a greasy B road that has mud on who are on GSs. Trying to hustle an RT to keep up is very challenging and plenty of brown pants moments. On my short 2 day feeble on a GS, I found it felt a lot lighter and more stable down the lanes in Winter. So I can see the attraction. Wish I could afford both.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaveCly wrote: [quote when you stopped people would come and admire. That doesn't happen with a RT.

It does with the Iconic 😜

Yep could see that. Depends what floats your boat I guess. I love the RT for what it does, not too fagged about its looks.