Much tears...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Re: Much tears...

Post by wethead »

Paggers wrote: Coming from a GS I am finding the RT quite different to handle at slow speeds; due to the much higher centre of gravity I guess. I definitely need more practice - this being a good lesson to me of that. It was damp, and just before the bike went over there is a change in the concrete surface causing a bump. I think it's that which threw the bike off balance and me with it. Simple over-confidence combined with lack of experience with the bike.

The reason it spun was that as the bike went down I didn't hit the kill switch. As a result what you are seeing is the rear wheel - still in first - pushing the bike around on the valve cover. As you can imagine the cover is pretty badly gouged. Aside from that the only other damage is a slight scrape on the black plastic part of the pannier and some scratches on the tank where my boot caught it as I jumped off - I am hoping that will polish out.

I'm totally gutted. And to add irony to injury, the bike was supposed to be fitted with cylinder head protectors but they are on back order. They should be fitted on Thursday when I go in for the 600 mile service.

Anyone know roughly how much a replacement valve cover will run me to? I'm trying to decide whether to just have the protectors fitted over the top to hide the damage or to do it properly and replace the cover as well.

On a positive note - my new Innovv camera system is working well.

Same happened to me but riding a Concour after coming off an RT, the center of gravity change got me while making a sharp turn into a parking spot and down I went.

If you had a set of engine guards...but, if the frog had wings, it wouldn't bump his arses on the ground when it hopped, would it?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Paggers wrote: Coming from a GS I am finding the RT quite different to handle at slow speeds; due to the much higher centre of gravity I guess. I definitely need more practice - this being a good lesson to me of that. It was damp, and just before the bike went over there is a change in the concrete surface causing a bump. I think it's that which threw the bike off balance and me with it. Simple over-confidence combined with lack of experience with the bike.

The reason it spun was that as the bike went down I didn't hit the kill switch. As a result what you are seeing is the rear wheel - still in first - pushing the bike around on the valve cover. As you can imagine the cover is pretty badly gouged. Aside from that the only other damage is a slight scrape on the black plastic part of the pannier and some scratches on the tank where my boot caught it as I jumped off - I am hoping that will polish out.

I'm totally gutted. And to add irony to injury, the bike was supposed to be fitted with cylinder head protectors but they are on back order. They should be fitted on Thursday when I go in for the 600 mile service.

Anyone know roughly how much a replacement valve cover will run me to? I'm trying to decide whether to just have the protectors fitted over the top to hide the damage or to do it properly and replace the cover as well.

The same thing happened to me when I took the demonstrator to Wales.
We rode through some of the worst weather I have ever ridden in without a problem, we cut the journey short due to the storm getting worse and stopped at a B&B for the night.
The following morning, glorious sunshine, drying roads we carried on to the cottage.
I missed the turning for the cottage and had to U turn the bike, I was fully packed and Anne was on the back , steady away one foot off the pegs and the front wheel went over the grass verge... it let go at the front, if I had had both feet on the pegs I would have been in exactly the same position as you.
I still can't believe I kept it upright!
After 23 years of riding and camping in fields it was the closest I have ever been to dropping a bike at walking speed.
I still bought one, it is a fantastic machine, but I am now very careful when turning at low speeds.
Dave
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Don't let it bother you Paggers, it's easy done, I'm very wary when fully loaded up and a pillion on ! Least it's only cosmetic 👍
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Paggers,

Really sorry to hear/see your news but also really glad it wasn't any worse.

There but for the grace of him upstairs, go the rest of us...
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Ooh feel for you mate.  My only to drops have been at 0mph.  The first was when the 1200GT's dodgy fuelling (my excuse) made it stall on a steep uphill T junction (broken footrest and scrapes) the other when I dropped the K1300GT on the drive while washing it and missed the side stand.  Just changed the car too and as the bike fell towards it I managed to save serious damage by getting myself stuck between them.  No real harm done to man or machine.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Bad news indeed but importantly your OK and it wont take too much to sort out. Always a bugger when it happens, last one I dropped was in a pub car park with the misses on the back. Lost my footing on some gravel and the Multistrada went down like a sack of potatoes, in full view of everybody sitting in the garden. Most embarrassing, brake level snapped off so had to get recovered. But at least I was able to have an extra pint!
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Peggers - Don't feel badly, I made the same mistake, exactly 7 days from when I picked up my new 2016 RT from the dealership, and fewer miles than you had.  In my case, I was moving from a Vespa 300GTS to the RT.  Was definitely not accustomed to the weight difference, and also made the mistake of doing a group ride and was pushing through a turn and exceeded my limits.  Luckily I was nearly at a full stop, but the bike still dumped over, and quite hard. I was VERY glad I had the cylinder guards installed by the dealer before I picked up the bike.  But the pannier and mirror definitely suffered.  I buffed out the pannier and repainted it, it doesn't look half bad now.  I replaced the plastic bits on the cylinder cover.  The mirror actually cleaned up pretty well, looking at the bike now you would never know it was dropped.  These are painful and expensive lessons, but you weren't hurt and that's really all that matters.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]
Attachments
2016-03-31 20.06.15.jpg
2016-03-31 20.06.36.jpg
2016-03-31 20.07.13.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for sharing. I bet it WAS shocking to see your bike driving itself around the car park!
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks for all the supportive comments.

Got the bike back this morning from Bowker Motorrad in Preston and it's all sorted. I now have the valve cover guards and the impact protectors for the cases. Hopefully a case of bolting the stable door after horse has bolted, but at least if I drop it again it will be the protectors taking the brunt of any damage.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

How much were the impact protectors for the cases?
Last edited by Maz12 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I know they are not universally liked, but I fitted engine and pannier bars as a precaution against low speed drops. In my opinion they do not detract from the appearance of the RT. They give peace of mind which is important to me, as well as a mounting point for my Clearwater lights.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Maz12 wrote: How much were the impact protectors for the cases?
£60 per side, plus fitting, plus VAT. All in around £200 for both sides - so not cheap. But I guess it's a lot cheaper than a new case.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When you know that each painted top part is over £200.00. It sounds like a wise investment.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Perhaps you should have just casually walked away, and if challenged, replied with "I always park them like that".

be