Android to sumo uploads

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Android to sumo uploads

Post by daverj »

I have an android tablet and phone and wish to upload new routes to my sumo 660  what's the best programming to do this? I used TYRE on my Windows computer but this doesn't seem to be available on android.Any ideas much appreciated
R1250RT LE
Sleuth

Re: Android to sumo uploads

Post by Sleuth »

I am not aware of any possibility to upload to a Zumo 660 from an Android device.  It can be done via a Windows PC, or Mac.

The best way to upload routes is via BaseCamp (free download from Garmin) alternatively use MapSource (also free download from Garmin)  However these are not the most user friendly of programs to use.

Good resource I used & use is Zumoforums.com.

BaseCamp is my chosen method as it is a database and can store your previous routes & tracks.

I have a BMW Navigator IV which is the BMW version of the 660.  If you have specific questions you can always PM me or post on the forum.  If / when I see it - I will respond.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Looks like I may have to assemble the old computer. You have confirmed what I was beginning to realise. Thanks for your help
R1250RT LE
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I do this on my Android /Nexus 9, using GPX Viewer free from the Google Store, its great for viewing the entire route zoomed out, or in for more detail.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I would be interested in discovering how you transfer the data to the Zumo 660.

One of the advantages of using BaseCamp/MapSource is that you use the same map as on the device.  This means there are fewer recalculations & strange routings between creating the route and uploading it.  I say fewer as there are some interesting routings, but that they say is another story!  ;)
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't think Garmin support Mapsourse any more so you might not be able to keep the maps up to date.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I have not got around to work out how to "easily" use Base Camp but keep the Mapsource maps up to date by using the same folder for the maps as Base Camp uses.
QED
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

You are indeed correct MapSource is no longer supported by Garmin.  Or at least maintained - however it is the official product of choice by Garmin for an "older" device such as the 660.

Keeping the maps up-to-date is via Garmin Express, which is another product.  This will update the maps used by BaseCamp, MapSource, and the GPS.  However you have to select install to computer & device when updating the GPS maps.  You will need to hunt for this option, and depending on the version of Express, it can be easy or next to impossible!

In terms of getting to use BaseCamp effectively.  Courtesy of the ZumoForums I know there is training for BaseCamp: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I didn't know Garmin Express would update Mapsourse, via your computer of course. I have heard of some older 660s that wouldn't connect to Express as well.
At the end of the day , with a little practice BaseCamp is the way to go. IMO.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

They use the same maps, unless of course you have a new GPS, with an "older" model.  Then there are two sorts of maps available.  The newer NTU, updated 4 times a year, and the NT (which the 660 uses.)  I understand the NT set of maps are updated twice a year.

My Nav IV is five years old - what do you call an "older 660"?

I certainly agree with you about BaseCamp being the routing of choice.  Mainly you can have consistency of Waypoints.  If you adjust one (your sister / friend / etc moves), then the routes associated to that waypoint also move.  If you use MapSource then you have to make sure that you adjust all the places where that waypoint can be found.

The two work in a similar fashion, and in my opinion BaseCamp has better tools for routing.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Didn't realise how "clever" BC is. Chganging the waypoints on all the routes tgat use them is very good.That sounds like a good New Year's resolution.

"I will learn how to use Base Camp ! "
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Neither did I but all the waypoints I am likely to use regularly are stored in the GPS.  I use BaseCamp to produce gpx files for tours and after use delete them.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

When I travel to the UK - or anywhere with a specific route - I generate a route in Basecamp and copy it directly to the GPS.  Afterwards, you can delete the route(s) directly from the USer Menu in the GPS.  If you copy a GPX to the device, then you need to manually delete it. (I learnt this fact when I attended a tour organised by one of our local motorcycle clubs.  The tour and accompanying tracks could not be deleted.)

If you update the map, perform a master reset, and re-install all the waypoints, routes etc otherwise it has a tendency to go slightly wrong on the GPS!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure about that.  In the V you have the option of deleting any one route or some or all irrespective of where they have come from.  A gpx route sent to you still has to be opened by BaseCamp before it can be transferred to the GPS so it's no different to one generated directly by BaseCamp and copied to it.  I also have friends who use my gpx routes in their Nav IV and 660s .  They have never reported they can't delete them and I on occasions have deleted them when loading more routes for them. 
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I think I may have got your original question the wrong way round apologies. I get my touring route from a member of our group as a .GPX file and this is loaded on to the Nav5 and to the Android Tablet, then I use GPX Viewer to get the big picture of the route.