Non BMW Screen and extra mirrors

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3075

Non BMW Screen and extra mirrors

Post by guest3075 »

So on my two older RTs (2009 & 2013) I installed GS style mirrors as the stock mirrors only showed me my legs and or elbows, (I'm 6'5").

With my 2014 and now 2017 model bikes, the same mirrors went on, but I noted they always fouled the screen when on steering lock.

The GS mirrors were second hand when I got them, and the mirror was getting a little tarnished, so got some cheapies from eBay, but the bend in the stem was further up and they were worse.

Ordered some Wunderlich mirrors which arrived today, but if anything, they are worse, as they don't have the final adjustment on the mirror to swivel.

I've got the Wunderlich extended arm and tried all ways and with or without extender. The Wunderlich screen is much wider than stock and this doesn't help.

Anyone figured how to stop the screen from returning to park each time the engine is off?

Before anyone says, that they are eight feet tall and are happy with the stock screens and stock mirrors etc, I'm not 

:)

guest2360

Re: Non BMW Screen and extra mirrors

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure there is no way you can stop the screen returning to park when you switch off.. aftermarket screens are all bigger so that's no good.  Have you thought about a bit of butchery to the screen where it fouls the mirrors.    You must admit though that the LC mirrors are a great improvement on the previous ones.  They do take a bit of experimentation to get them set up correctly .
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

RTman10 wrote: You must admit though that the LC mirrors are a great improvement on the previous ones.  They do take a bit of experimentation to get them set up correctly .

The new mirrors are an improvement on the older style, but still not as good as my old ST1300 Pan European, and with GS style mirrors I can set the stock mirrors on wide, and the GS on rear view, we did some walk aroun tests and there is almost no discernible blind spot. And I still see my elbows in the mirrors.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can remember borrowing an ST1300.  My main recollection is, "who's  put the mirrors on upside down" .
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

I have never been troubled by the stock mirrors.  I am 6-4 and they work fine.  Is something wrong with me?

I have a friend in Michigan who is 6-7, and he also uses only the stock mirrors.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

ItsOnlyMe wrote:
Before anyone says, that they are eight feet tall and are happy with the stock screens and stock mirrors etc, I'm not 

:)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I think it has to be a very personal thing. I'm 6" 1" and having just come from a GS I much prefer the mirrors on the RT. For a start I don't have to turn my head as far to look in them - which is a big deal when you wear varifocal glasses. Yes I can see the bar-ends in them, but that's just in the top corner and to me it no more intrusive than seeing my upper arms in the mirrors on the GS. In either case there is always some part of me showing up in the mirrors.

So good luck with finding a configuration that works for you.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maybe it's if you were ever a Mod, two mirrors are never enough.