Motorcycle lifts

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Motorcycle lifts

Post by Casbar »

GJ-MOTO wrote: Have the big blue lift which I used on my Trophy SE before PX and purchasing RT LE.

Haven't checked to see if the current fitting can be used on the new bike.

You need the large peg attachment and will need to modify the front pad so it fits between the pipes, either by a bit of angle grinder action or a wooden block of some kind. I also need to get a wheel chock as you can't lift whilst the bike is on the centre stand as its in the way.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Casbar wrote:
You need the large peg attachment and will need to modify the front pad so it fits between the pipes, either by a bit of angle grinder action or a wooden block of some kind. I also need to get a wheel chock as you can't lift whilst the bike is on the centre stand as its in the way.

Thanks for the advice on mods required, may consider fixing a secure block to clear pipes and see if straps would secure the pegs with some mods to the existing attachments. Found the wife was good to get the bike lifted as the Trophy couldn't be lifted with the centre stand down.

GJ-MOTO
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

i only had the beam on my Big Blue, so rang the company and took advice on what I needed to lift the RT. Another off topic question, what made you change from a Trophy to the RT, what differences have you found. Test rode a Trophy before I bought the RT, but always liked them.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Casbar wrote: i only had the beam on my Big Blue, so rang the company and took advice on what I needed to lift the RT. Another off topic question, what made you change from a Trophy to the RT, what differences have you found. Test rode a Trophy before I bought the RT, but always liked them.

Casbar the trophy was coming up to 3 yrs old & Triumph have made the decision to discontinue the trophy in 2017. For more retro style and adventure bikes rather than the touring market, which BMW have the market.

Had they looked at keeping this in production I would have brought another one, but saying that I've found the RT more enjoyable than 4yrs ago when I test rode one.

As previously mention my bikes are day-to-day work horses, so needed something that give that all round comfort, weather protection, long trip reliability and have the network should something go wrong.

Found the weight different between the Trophy and the RT a big improvement and can't believe how light the RT is and feels compared tomthe Trophy.

Early days and don't want to compare the two as they are both good bikes.

GJ-MOTO
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

When on your own the front wheel chock is essential when using the Big Blue stand. However be very careful if your garage floor is slippery. In the pictures I posted earlier in this thread my garage floor was a bit of a mess. This summer I painted it a nice shade of red. Looks great but its a bit slippery. I park both my bikes on a strip of old carpet, makes getting them on their centre stands easier and protects the floor. Because the front wheel chock has a habit of moving away from you when you try to park the bike in it, I placed the chock on the carpet too. I rode the bike (Pan) into the chock. I was just about to get off when over she went !! Luckily no damage. What had happened is the bike had lent over ever so slightly from vertical, this resulted in the back wheel slipping sideways and the weight of the bike did the rest. To cure the problem and give back my confidence in using the chock I'm going to bolt it to the floor. This will also solve the problem of the chock sliding away from you when you try to get the bike into it.

So beware if in doubt bolt it to the floor.
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

Most dealers on this side of the pond use the Handy Lift.  That is what I use now.

I used to use the Harbor Freight lift, which is inexpensive, but not too sturdy.

Last edited by bmwdean on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Looked at hydraulic tables but decided against them due to the space they take up when not in use. They all do much the same job, get the bike up and save our knees. :)
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

I tip mine on it's side against the wall of the garage, along with all the other stuff in the garage be