Top Box vs Panniers

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3954

Re: Top Box vs Panniers

Post by guest3954 »

I bought my Givi Top Box to fit two full faced helmets - at that time the BMW wouldn't fit them in. That was some time ago - does the present BMW top Box accommodate two helmets?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They have for the last 12 years. 
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

In my view the fitting in of full-face helmets is something of a subjective topic. For example, while the panniers on my RT do technically hold my Shoei Neotec, I have to remove the external Bluetooth unit to stop it from getting squashed. So the fit is extremely tight, and I can't get much else in there along with a helmet. From what I have seen of the BMW top-box you can fit two full-face lids in, but there isn't a lot of space to cram other bits in.

I remain totally committed to my huge Givi topbox which can easily accommodate two helmets, I don't need to remove my BT unit, and there is plenty of additional space for gloves, a first aid kit, and a variety of other clutter. But then it's an ugly brick by comparison with the BMW one. So once again we are back to what you need it to do and your personal preference.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My Neotec fits ok in the panniers with the bluetooth on (Scala Packtalk) and I usually chuck in the gloves, and my Sat Nav. Its just a case of positioning it correctly. Can fit helmets in the top box by putting them on their side, Bluetooth uppermost.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Casbar wrote: My Neotec fits ok in the panniers with the bluetooth on (Scala Packtalk) and I usually chuck in the gloves, and my Sat Nav. Its just a case of positioning it correctly. Can fit helmets in the top box by putting them on their side, Bluetooth uppermost.

Use the Sho-1 Bluetooth unit which fits okay into the panniers, also wear the neotec lid.
GJ-MOTO
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Paggers wrote: In my view the fitting in of full-face helmets is something of a subjective topic. For example, while the panniers on my RT do technically hold my Shoei Neotec, I have to remove the external Bluetooth unit to stop it from getting squashed. So the fit is extremely tight, and I can't get much else in there along with a helmet. From what I have seen of the BMW top-box you can fit two full-face lids in, but there isn't a lot of space to cram other bits in.
I had a Shoei Multitech - large shell - it fitted in the side pannier with the intercom (Scala Rider G4 then replaced with the Sena SMH10) still attached.  As has been said the helmet goes on it's side with the top of the helmet facing out, and the intercom uppermost.  I use the gloves as a protection for the visor.  I currently have an Arai Chaser, and that also fits in the side panniers as described above.

Due to the large shell size of the helmets, it is possible to get both helmets into an empty 49l BMW topbox.  However care needs to be made when fitting.  The intercoms do need to be removed.  As a result, I prefer using the side panniers as a helmet storage.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth