BMW Streetguard

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Re: BMW Streetguard

Post by Paggers »

While yes there are Rukka outfits in the same price range as the Streetguard, they are not Gortex Pro which was one of my selection criteria.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just to be clear, I'm not on commission  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

That's okay, you are clearly enthusiastic about the gear. ;)

Do I think Rukka gear is better than the BMW gear? Yes.
Do I think it's 50% better? No.
Am I willing to pay 50% more to get something that is a bit better, and the peace of mind of the 6-year warranty? That's much more subjective but my current thinking is no.

But I still need to go and look at the Streetguard. One of the earlier remarks that has concerned me is that it uses a lot of velcro. I'm not a fan of velcro for the main fastening on jackets (cuffs and stuff like that is fine) as I find myself having to fight to get the jacket open and it never seems to close up 'just right' first time. But again remarks are that the velcro on the new v4 suit is okay so I'll have to see.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Interesting subject as I'm in a similar situation.
Had Rukka for 15 years now, but now looking at the StreetGuard.
Interesting read from you  ;D 
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

After my rear end shunt last year I got a Street guard Jacket & trousers thru the Insurance.
(Had Bering Odyssee jacket and trousers prior to the incident, which were very good.)
Having ridden thru one winter & starting another they have kept me warm & dry. No problems with any of the Velcro closures up to press. This is the only jacket I have so it has to be up to the job all year round.  There are plenty of vents for the few warm days we get,  the thermal jacket & trouser liner are also very efficient.
Try one out, you may be surprised.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

According to my local dealer's online shop they have the sizes I would be interested in currently in stock so will give them a call tomorrow. First talk to the sales guy about discount before I go in and get too excited!
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

It's a shame you are not near Cambridge, I looked at these http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/motorc ... 20leathers last year, and when my Halvarssons wears out, I'm going to get one of these.

They make them in stock and custom sizes if needed.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Paggers wrote: That's okay, you are clearly enthusiastic about the gear. ;)

Do I think Rukka gear is better than the BMW gear? Yes.
Do I think it's 50% better? No.
Am I willing to pay 50% more to get something that is a bit better, and the peace of mind of the 6-year warranty? That's much more subjective but my current thinking is no.

But I still need to go and look at the Streetguard. One of the earlier remarks that has concerned me is that it uses a lot of velcro. I'm not a fan of velcro for the main fastening on jackets (cuffs and stuff like that is fine) as I find myself having to fight to get the jacket open and it never seems to close up 'just right' first time. But again remarks are that the velcro on the new v4 suit is okay so I'll have to see.

I recently went to buy a new BMW jacket (with 25% discount through an offer that expired on 31/12/16) and the dealer insisted on ordering in one size up and one size down as well to ensure that I got the correct fit. Yeah, I said I never pay RRP!
John Bentall
Si_Burnout

Post by Si_Burnout »

I have a streetguard outfit and i'm still very happy with it. It's comfortable, completely waterproof and if you wear it you don't feel it at all.
I had some problems with water getting in trough the elbows and knees but I got a compete exchange under waranty.
I would definitely recommend it.
Live to ride and ride to live.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

So, over the weekend I went to my dealer and had a look at the Streetguard.

I should start off by saying that I really wanted to like it. In fact I was halfway expecting to come back with a suit. But what has hung me up is the two velcro straps on either side that provide waist adjustment. In my view they are just plain ugly. It's also incredibly thin, certainly compared with my existing gear. I know it has the extra abrasion resistant patches but I do wonder how tough the rest of it is.

Turns out they didn't have trousers in the right size so are ordering those in for me to try on. In the interim I need to find somewhere local that stocks the Rukka Armaxis as I think that would be the alternative and I'm now thinking I should at least check it out before I make a decision.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: So, over the weekend I went to my dealer and had a look at the Streetguard.

I should start off by saying that I really wanted to like it. In fact I was halfway expecting to come back with a suit. But what has hung me up is the two velcro straps on either side that provide waist adjustment. In my view they are just plain ugly. It's also incredibly thin, certainly compared with my existing gear. I know it has the extra abrasion resistant patches but I do wonder how tough the rest of it is.

Turns out they didn't have trousers in the right size so are ordering those in for me to try on. In the interim I need to find somewhere local that stocks the Rukka Armaxis as I think that would be the alternative and I'm now thinking I should at least check it out before I make a decision.

Shame, try the Navigatorr (it is spelt like that, as advertised in this months Motorcycle Sport and Leisure  :) ) [size=78%]as well, I tried both and preferred the Navigatorr. Infinity normally stocks the suits and like BMW will order in from the UK supplier if you want to try a different size.[/size]
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Paggers wrote: So, over the weekend I went to my dealer and had a look at the Streetguard.

I have had Armax previously and now have had a Rukka Cosmic Pro 3 and very pleased with the jacket which is used most days.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

To be honest I get a bit confused as to what are the differences in the Rukka Gore-tex Pro offerings. But from what I read through on their online brochure the Armaxis was the one that seems right for me. Of course that doesn't include the Navigatorr as it isn't listed on the Rukka site. I need to find someone local that has a decent range of Rukka gear in - last time I checked my local accessories place (J&S Accessories) had only one Rukka outfit in and I think that was the Armas.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The Navigatorr is the replacement for the Cosmic with some upgrades on feedback from Cosmic owners