Navigator V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Navigator V

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: Have you loaded anything on the card before putting it in the Nav, like music.  Youwill then be able to tell if it really doesn't know it's there or just your Mac. Unless of course you have an audio unit.
That particular method hasn't yet been tried. However, I've put the same card directly into the Mac and it reads it without any issue, and therefore recognises files which were on it, before I re-formatted the card. It just appears that the darn Nav 5 doesn't recognise the card. I have also tried a different card but with same result.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: Also though it was FAT32 formated I re-formated in Disk Utility on the Mac
Yes, that process sounds familiar, of which I also did.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I think there is something odd that came in with one of the fairly recent OS X (or macOS as it is now) releases. I have never had any problems with my Nav V (almost 2 years of ownership) and then all of a sudden I had exactly the same problem you described - the Mac refused to recognise the SD card.

Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you - my Mac Pro 3,1 was obsoleted by the latest major release so I decided it was time to switch back to PC. No surprise - and no help at all - to say that I have had absolutely no problems connecting up the Nav V since moving over to the PC.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, that may well be the case. I'm operating with El Capitan OS on my Mac. When I get my hands on a Windows PC, I'll let you know the outcome!🤔
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well I have a mac book air and am running the latest update to OSX and I luckily have no issues with the Nav V, I can even see the SD card as a seperate storage area from Finder, so when the Nav V is plugged in, it shows two discs, internal and the sd card. So not sure why mine works.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Well I have a mac book air and am running the latest update to OSX and I luckily have no issues with the Nav V, I can even see the SD card as a seperate storage area from Finder, so when the Nav V is plugged in, it shows two discs, internal and the sd card. So not sure why mine works.

Must be your magic touch...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Must be your magic touch...

Well its nothing to do with my IT skills, even though I worked in IT  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It's a bit of a long shot but do you have a lot of USB devices plugged in? I had a fair few on my Mac, including a USB-3 hub - which it turns out uses a lot more USB 'resources' than USB-2. Although I never got to the bottom of my problem I had started to think that it was down to hitting the limit for USB controller connections as I found I was having similar problems with a USB multi-card reader that I use for uploading photos. Unplugging USB devices did sometimes result in the Nav V and card reader working properly, but it was inconsistent.

I'm just theorising here but I guess it's possible that if you have an old Mac that something in the new OS has changed the behaviour of the USB controller. It's not unheard of for Apple to arrange their code such that it is optimised towards their devices at the expense of others.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

There is a thread on similar issues on the UKGSER forum, might be worth a looked see.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdispl ... avigator-V
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Paggers wrote: It's a bit of a long shot but do you have a lot of USB devices plugged in? I had a fair few on my Mac, including a USB-3 hub - which it turns out uses a lot more USB 'resources' than USB-2. Although I never got to the bottom of my problem I had started to think that it was down to hitting the limit for USB controller connections as I found I was having similar problems with a USB multi-card reader that I use for uploading photos. Unplugging USB devices did sometimes result in the Nav V and card reader working properly, but it was inconsistent.

I'm just theorising here but I guess it's possible that if you have an old Mac that something in the new OS has changed the behaviour of the USB controller. It's not unheard of for Apple to arrange their code such that it is optimised towards their devices at the expense of others.
Yes, I do have 3 USB slots permanently plugged with accessories, so I will disconnect one, if not all accordingly! My Mac is 3 yrs old, so not that antiquated. Anyway, I shall try and let oink now D outcome! Thanks for the info Paggers
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: There is a thread on similar issues on the UKGSER forum, might be worth a looked see.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/551-BMW-Navigator-V
Thanks. I'll have a browse through there soon.👍
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Well, the mystery was finally solved - all a bit boring and straightforward really! After much swearing at my Mac desktop, micro SD card formatting was the cause. The dealer, with whom I'd left the Nav V with for checking out, informed me that they had re-formatted my SD card to FAT 32 format, as opposed to ExFAT 32 which is what it was formatted to. After feeling like a prat, I sheepishly went back to the dealer to thank them for their trouble. Anyway, back to normal. Oh, how I love IT bits....!!??be