Abba Skylift - USA

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DBLXX

Abba Skylift - USA

Post by DBLXX »

I'm incredibly bummed. Any USA customers out there NOT have the problem?

Hi David,

I am contacting you before we dispatch your order regarding the Sky Lift for your R1200RT. We have recently supplied the lift to another customer in the USA with the same bike and he has found it a little more difficult to fit that on his other bikes. The reason is, even with the lift at its lowest setting the lift is a tight fit to insert into the swing arm pivot (ideally the lift could do with going 0.25” lower than it currently does) However we do not seem to have any problems fitting the lift with the exact same model bike in Europe?

According to the customer you would need to have the bike set on the highest suspension setting (if you have the electronic suspension) and a thin piece of board (timer?) under the rear wheel, around 1” thick to gain the little extra height needed. Or if you currently use a standard paddock stand or front wheel chock/clamp this would also be fine.

Failing the above if you would rather not get involved in this we will happily refund you fully.

We are not sure at this stage why this US customer had a small issue with the height and our R1200RT bikes here in the UK are not having an issue? But we didn’t want to send out another one with you knowing about this.

Please advise if you need any more information on this.

I look forward to hearing from you before we advance on your order.
Thank you.

Best regards

abba Motorcycle Equipment,
29 Cutlers Road
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex
CM3 5WA
UK
Last edited by DBLXX on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Re: Abba Skylift - USA

Post by Levisp »

This is true I think of European bikes as well but is such a no deal I didn't mention it. When I use mine I put the suspension onto pillion setting and put a thin board under the back wheel. This jacks the bike up enough to get the stand into the swingarm pivot hole. Its really no problem. 2014 RT LC.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

Greetings-I am considering this lift for my 2016 rt.  This might be a silly question, but I'm wondering where the strap attaches, as the rt does not have the "bobbin" attached to the swing arm depicted in the instructional videos.  Thanks
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

amsrk144 wrote: Greetings-I am considering this lift for my 2016 rt.  This might be a silly question, but I'm wondering where the strap attaches, as the rt does not have the "bobbin" attached to the swing arm depicted in the instructional videos.  Thanks

Not a silly question at all.
Attachments
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0498.jpg
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

Thanks for the photos-very helpful!
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Yeah - for me too. That space is not opened on my bike.