Should I be worried about this?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Maz12

Re: Should I be worried about this?

Post by Maz12 »

I thank my dealers,  Alan Jefferies for pushing my case and sorting it quickly and painlessly (especially Dan in the service dept). And anyone else who knows me.  :)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Maz12 wrote: Took the bike to the dealers again on Saturday,  got a phone call from them today
BMW have agreed to a new engine, Swingarm, Driveshaft..  Excellent news
Good, glad to hear of the positive outcome for you! :)
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

One thing has sprung to mind (apart from having to pay for a 600mile service again  ;) )
What happens with the log book..  As the 3rd service will show a lower mileage than the 2nd service,  minor details I guess
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Mileage is recorded on the bike, not the engine. So the tachometer will just keep on counting up, irrespective of the engine change.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Maz12 wrote:What happens with the log book.
The V5C should be updated with the new engine no., https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-detai ... -to-update
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Ta
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

All the stuff has arrived,  so taking my bike in on Saturday and picking up a loaner
Looking at weather forecast recon a GS will be needed
mcbrid

Post by mcbrid »

Aluminium is notoriously prone to 'gassing' which has the effect of lifting any paint that is on top of the porous area of the casting.

It is likely that this is what you are seeing and as such is a 'manufacturing' fault but good luck arguing it.

Applying ACF50 or anything similar will have little impact on the problem as it is coming from under the paint

IMHO of course

:-[

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That could very well be one of the answers, but not totally.  The pics posted by Max 12 shows corrosion on the rocker box.  They are magnesium.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Doesn't magnesium alloy have the same trait in this respect as aluminium alloy, ie degassing when being cast and porosity problems thereafter? Who on earth manufactures these castings for BMW if this is possibly the cause?? Our Asian friends with naff quality control per chance? Rant over! ;)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote: Doesn't magnesium alloy have the same trait in this respect as aluminium alloy, ie degassing when being cast and porosity problems thereafter? Who on earth manufactures these castings for BMW if this is possibly the cause?? Our Asian friends with naff quality control per chance? Rant over! ;)

Maybe that's why early 1200 Multistradas had porous cylinder heads - which puts a bit of blistering paint into context!
mcbrid

Post by mcbrid »

Steve F wrote: Doesn't magnesium alloy have the same trait in this respect as aluminium alloy, ie degassing when being cast and porosity problems thereafter? Who on earth manufactures these castings for BMW if this is possibly the cause?? Our Asian friends with naff quality control per chance? Rant over! ;)

Exactly the same - there is a vacuum impregnation process which would get rid of the problem but that would add cost

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There is some difference.  Corrodion to rocker boxes is very rare and nearly unheard of.  They have been magnesium since 2005 if not earlier.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

RTman10 wrote: There is some difference.  Corrodion to rocker boxes is very rare and nearly unheard of.  They have been magnesium since 2005.

Iv'e seen plenty of rocker box covers with blisters on them, as we are paying a premium price you would think BMW would use the best manufacturing processes as standard and quality stainless fasteners.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

futterweasel wrote:
Iv'e seen plenty of rocker box covers with blisters on them, as we are paying a premium price you would think BMW would use the best manufacturing processes as standard and quality stainless fasteners.

Any manufacturer could make corrosion proof bikes but they don't because they want us to keep buying new bikes every 2 - 3 years. Not me.