Hill Assist

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Hill Assist

Post by richardbd »

Tended to think it was a bit of a gimmick when I had the RT.

Now I've gone to the dark side (GS), I'm surprised how much I miss it...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote: Tended to think it was a bit of a gimmick when I had the RT.

Now I've gone to the dark side (GS),I'm surprised how much I miss it...

I have it, and still never use it, too frightened about stalling the bike. Need to practice I guess.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quick pump on the lever and pull away.  The fear goes away. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yes I know, but old habits die hard, so have just been doing it the traditional way  :)
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Another feature on the bike which I thought I didn't really need/or want.  BUT,  like all the features, quick-shift, central locking, ESA etc, I now wouldn't be without them.  It is the sum of all of these,  that for me, makes the 1200rt-lc such a superb machine and a joy to ride.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I quite like it, not a 'must have' for me though.  It seems to be most useful when sat at traffic lights on a bit of a slope.  Just remember it is NOT a parking brake  :))
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Mark05RT wrote: Hate this system with a passion....even the electronic handbrake on my Volvo!
Is it not a basic skill to operate throttle and front brake with one hand to effect a smooth hill start?
Sorry if it offends!
No offence take, but I think you may have missed the point of Hill Assist, it is a great and easy to use feature when done correctly.

Pull up to a stop (uphill or downhill) and; squeeze the front brake lever a bit harder than normal, check the little "H" has appeared on the dash and relax, take both hands off the handlebars and adjust your visor if you like. When you are ready to go; apply the rear brake then release Hill Assist by squeezing the front brake lever (at bit harder than normal), check the little "H" has disappeared from the dash and pull away as normal.

In the event that you have relaxed so much that you forget that Hill Assist is engaged (and I have been that person! :alas:) , no dramas, just pull away as normal, your normal riding skills will ensure you add a bit more throttle until the bike actually moves. This is not the recommended method and as others have noted does tend to be bit jerky!
Last edited by TJRL on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This is not the recommended method and as others have noted does tend to be bit jerky!
Think it is and it's what's in the book.  But I agree it takes a bit of getting used to and a manual dis-engage is just as easy. The dash H starts to flash as it's about to come off .To compare it to a car auto handbrake is not correct because it's not as you will discover if you switch off while sat on a slope.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for the explanation TJRL.

I wondered how it worked, although don't have it on my 2012 of course.