Navigator V - Temperature

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
BeeJay

Navigator V - Temperature

Post by BeeJay »

Recently purchased the Nav V as an upgrade from my existing 660.
On a recent "plotted" trip I hade the screen info set showing "temperature". I did notice that the reading was somewhat adrift from the bike temp reading.
Yesterday, decided to have a quick jasp around the local area. Fitted the V and just left it showing the map. No pre-planned route.
The temp display did not register at all throughout the journey.
I've had a quick look and can't find anything that would turn the temp off.
Any suggestions?
I don't really want the temp showing as i can use the RT's temp if required. But using the " if it's there it should work theory" what's the problem?
Thanks
guest2360

Re: Navigator V - Temperature

Post by guest2360 »

No temperature on my Nav V.  All you 17 model types, is it part of My motorcycle info. Maybe Garmin hsve added it but not told anybody
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

It's on one of the dashboard options. Tried a full blown reset, just waiting to find satellites now.
Not many of those indoors, lol

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nope, nothing on mine.  Must be a new thing. If it just appears in one of the windows at the bottom of the screen you can programme them by just touching either and the menu appears.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

BeeJay wrote: just waiting to find satellites now.
Good job the USA GPS system isn't plagued with the same issues as Europe has trying to get their GPS system up and running or you'd never get back online  ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38664225
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I don't think the temperature readout on the Garmin GPS comes from the bike, I think it comes via the SmartLink feed from your phone which in turn I guess is getting it from a weather feed somewhere.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

That's a very good suggest. I'll give it a try.
The GPS answer came from Garmin on-line chat after advising a reset.
Watch this space
:)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Garmin advise a reset for everything short of a crushed one. 
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Tried it outside, found satellites and I turned the smartlink on.
Temp displayed.
Tried it inside, near a windown, temp didn't show until "ready to navigate" came up.
So it looks to be a bit of both. The smartlink finds the weather info but it doesn't display until the Nav has found the satellites.

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

BeeJay wrote: So it looks to be a bit of both. The smartlink finds the weather info but it doesn't display until the Nav has found the satellites.
I think that's because until the GPS finds the satellite it doesn't know where it is and so can't give SmartLink a location against which to provide the temperature.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Sorted, the last comment was a red herring.
Tried it gain indoors, temp came up straight away whilst it was still searching for satellites.
The last time I was out the app could not have been active.
The difference in temperatures is beause the bike give the exact location whereas the phone app finds the nearest point of info.
At home the app gives as a source approx15 miles further into Wales than where I am.
At least got it sorted now.
:)
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

BeeJay wrote: It's on one of the dashboard options. Tried a full blown reset, just waiting to find satellites now.

What's a full blown reset?
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

THis was from Garmin:
I would recommend performing a master reset of the device, this can be done following the instructions in this PDF, it is highly advised that you sync your device before doing this : http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/c ... ctions.pdf

Please follow the below steps to perform a master reset on your device.
1. Start with the device off and unplugged from power
- To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, touch and hold down the power button until prompted to
turn off the device
2. Touch and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
3. Power the device on
4. “System” will appear on the screen for approximately 30 seconds
5. Remove your finger when the screen displays Loading...”

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

That's a handy Garmin instruction pdf, I'll create a thread for it, hopefully it won't get lost for future reference, thanks Barry.