New Owner Here

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
TheCeleryStalker

New Owner Here

Post by TheCeleryStalker »

Hi all,

I just traded in my RnineT on a 2016 RT.  I was alittle apprehensive about this bike, to be honest due to the perceived weight and what I felt were way to many electronic devices.  I pulled the trigger on the deal because my girlfriend loves to ride pillion and I knew that the nineT was really not the bike for long distances, especially on the back. 

That being said, after a couple weeks with the RT...... I LOVE THIS BIKE.  I was intimidated by the size, but it handles really well and I don't feel the weight except at a dead stop.  The comfort is just amazing.  I have only owned non-faired bikes.  What a revelation!  I can listen to music at 80mph!  I can ride in close to freezing weather because the heated grips go to surface of the sun mode.  Even an added butt warmer!

My father, who is a former racer and a Honda until I die kind of person, actually told me that while he hates to say it, the RT is the best all around motorcycle one can buy.  That carried a lot of weight with me because I know that the Euro bikes are not his thing.  He did not steer me wrong.  We are less than two weeks into ownership and have about 50 miles left on the break in and then we are free to roam.  We cant wait!

Riding my Bonnie or previous BMW over a couple hundred miles began to hurt and any of our small stable of classics is not something I would trust for a long road trip.  I feel like I could ride this thing all day, every day without a single case of monkey butt.  I hate to say it, but I now understand what I once called "old man bikes".  This has nothing to do with turning 41 in any way. 

Sorry to gush, but I am just amazed at how great this bike is compared to what I am accustomed to.  I got a killer deal on a left over 2016, so it's just a great deal all around.  With Florida's extended riding season, I can see this bike getting lots of miles put on it.  She's definitely a keeper.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: New Owner Here

Post by beemerboy9 »

There are two sorts of rider:-
1) Those who have never ridden an RT, and know that RT-ownership is a sign of premature old-age and losing ones youthful streak.
2) Those who have ridden an RT, and know that RT-ownership is is the best part of growing up and maintaining an adventurous outlook.
John Bentall
Rols

Post by Rols »

The way an RT sheds its weight as soon as its moving is a wonder. It is very easy to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

The RT always feels eager to please both on get up and go and handling, it's a joy.
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

Congratulations on making the right choice.
See you out on the road.
If you are ever in NE FL that is.
Hominid

Post by Hominid »

Congrats!

I picked up my new 2016RT last weekend and am also loving it. I have 80 more miles left on the break-in period and then, as the salesman told me, I can "ride it like you stole it".  :))

I'm coming from a different direction - traded in my F6B Goldwing for the RT and love the fact that it feels so light compared to the GW. I'm almost 60 years old and my knees are so much happier with this bike.

Really impressed with the responsiveness of the RT compared to the GW and anticipate this bike will do everything I want from a bike right now; commuter, around town run-around; long range touring machine and nimble enough with enough storage for camping along the way. Can't wait till summer gets here for some camping expeditions.
-----> Beemer Noob <-----
TheCeleryStalker

Skeezix wrote: Congratulations on making the right choice.
See you out on the road.
If you are ever in NE FL that is.

Well, being as that I live in Jacksonville, NE FL is right outside my door.
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

TheCeleryStalker wrote:
Well, being as that I live in Jacksonville, NE FL is right outside my door.

What a coincidence.
Westside of Jax here.
Down towards Orange Park.
TheCeleryStalker

Skeezix wrote:
What a coincidence.
Westside of Jax here.
Down towards Orange Park.

I'm a Riversider. well Murray Hill to be exact.&nbsp; My parents live down off Collins Road toward the base, so I am kind of near Orange Park a lot.&nbsp; If you see an old man riding like a maniac on an extremely well kept CB750 Super Sport in garnet and gold colors, that would be my pops.
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
Sold this one a few years ago.
Attachments
0004.JPG
Rols

Post by Rols »

Hominid wrote: Congrats!

I picked up my new 2016RT last weekend and am also loving it. I have 80 more miles left on the break-in period and then, as the salesman told me, I can "ride it like you stole it".&nbsp; :))

I'm coming from a different direction - traded in my F6B Goldwing for the RT and love the fact that it feels so light compared to the GW. I'm almost 60 years old and my knees are so much happier with this bike.

Really impressed with the responsiveness of the RT compared to the GW and anticipate this bike will do everything I want from a bike right now; commuter, around town run-around; long range touring machine and nimble enough with enough storage for camping along the way. Can't wait till summer gets here for some camping expeditions.
Hey, how did you get on with the F6B's cut down screen? I am imagining a wall of air coming off that.

Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Skeezix wrote: I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
Sold this one a few years ago.
Beautiful bike
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

Maz12 wrote: Beautiful bike

Just under 9500 miles on the odometer when I sold it.
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

Sold this one a few years later.
Attachments
r100j2a2.jpg
Hominid

Post by Hominid »

Rols wrote: Hey, how did you get on with the F6B's cut down screen? I am imagining a wall of air coming off that.
You are exactly right. Incredible helmet buffeting with that stock shorty screen.
All the wind comes up that big front fairing and the screen just helps push it straight up to the head.

Looks cool, but is worse than worthless.

It's one of the first things I changed out on that bike, along with the stock seat.
Seems like most guys do swap out that screen right away when they buy the F6B

Attachments
F6B New screen and Corbin.jpg
-----> Beemer Noob <-----