Heed Engine Crash Bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
beemer dood

Re: Heed Engine Crash Bars

Post by beemer dood »

Got my bike about two years ago.  It had plastic head protectors on it when I got it.  I mounted the Wunderlich front protection bars about a year ago, not only for the protection in a drop, but also because I wanted to mount some lights there.  When I mounted the front bars, I had to remove the plastic head protectors.  That's when I discovered that the previous owner had dropped the bike, while moving, on the right side.  The head was scuffed. 

I just mounted the Wunderlich rear protection bars, and during the slow riding portion of a class, dropped the bike on the left side.  Slight amount of scuffing on the bar, that is almost invisible as you look at the bike, unless you bend down quite a bit, and not a mark on the bags.  They've already been scratched and scuffed due to several other slow speed, or stopped tip overs.  I haven't repaired them, I figured I just drop it again.  But now, with the protection afforded by the rear bars, they're safe.  Well, safer, anyway. 

No experience with the Heed bars, you asked about OP, but thought you might be interested in my general comments.  Word is, that the service can be done without removing or loosening the front bars with the Wunderlich bars, but I haven't had one done yet. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So you bought protection bars because you keep dropping your bike  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now now.  We are nearly on 2000 members.  Let's  not go the other way.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Now now.  We are nearly on 2000 members.  Let's  not go the other way.

lol, honest question, or did I read the post wrong? Or had someone else been dropping the bike before the guy bought it :) Think anyone can drop their bike, but its not usually an everyday occurrence.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just thought I'd wake you up.  Think he's found previous damage.  Not sure about having scaffolding just on the back.  Might protect the panniers but you could end up with forward damage as the bike would / might tip foreword over the pots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

;)
marc1200

Post by marc1200 »

ive just put xheads from nippy normans easy to fit and look good have a look
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Yo Beemer Dood, can you post a pic of your bars and a link to the supplier. I need to get them fitted, coz I can be a careless plonk and I`m likely to drop it at some point !!
Last edited by BBT600 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Fir your bike the OEM ones are cheaper and they work.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

My RT already has the BMW covers for the cylinder heads, but I want to give as much protection as possible to the fairing and body work. I haven`t tried lowering the bike over to see if the BMW covers will protect the fairing/handlebar ends etc. Does anyone have unfortunate experience of this?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If it drops onto the cylinder they protect it all.  If it topples over the heads nothing will save it. Likewise if a curb gets in the way. 
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

You could always go the whole way and get the RTP bars that look like a Zimmer walking frame !!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Or just leave it in the shed.
capetom

Post by capetom »

I dropped my bike yesterday while backing up on a downward slope. Need help getting it up. Bike ended up completely horizontal. Engine crash bars would of at least keep the bike on a angel so that it could be raised easily. Any comments?
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

capetom wrote: I dropped my bike yesterday while backing up on a downward slope. Need help getting it up. Bike ended up completely horizontal. Engine crash bars would of at least keep the bike on a angel so that it could be raised easily. Any comments?

What an unfortunate way to have to introduce yourself.

You say "need help getting it up".. If you add your location, we might be able to help.

If only ANGELS could catch our bikes eh?!