SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo Sport tank bag questions

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo Sport tank bag questions

Post by pwbike »

Hello there, I'm a new member from Australia.
I've had my secondhand R1200RT Water-cooled (2014)  since October 2016.

I bought and fitted an SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo Daypack tankbag, but it's smaller than I expected, and smaller than what I'm used to.

Does anyone here have the larger SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo Sport tankbag?
If so is it a good fit on the Rt1200RT?
No issues with handlebar fouling?

Since I've invested in the SW Motech mount system and fitted the tankring to my bike, I'd like to stick with their Quick-Lock Evo series.

Thanks.
Peter
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo Sport tank bag questions

Post by beemerboy9 »

On the day I picked up my RT WC, I rode down to a SW-Motech dealer that had a full range of tank-bags in stock, with the intention of picking up the largest tank bag in the range - the Trial. I knew that this bag was not recommended for the RT, but I wanted something the same size as the BMW bag on my previous '05 bike.

After a lot of to-and-fro with various bags roughly positioned on the tank, I finally went with the City bag, the largest recommended for the 2014- RT. The experienced and very helpful shop assistant who was watching me also agreed with the final choice. I can see that the Evo Sport is a fraction wider than the Trial.

Obviously the bags are soft, so that you can always dig the bars into the sides to get a full range of movement. However I have learned to get by with a smaller bag - I just know that I can't remove an unwanted layer of clothing and stuff it in there along with everything else!

What I really like about the SW-Motech Evo range is that the bag can be locked to the bike. I have never had to carry the bag around with me.
What I don't like is the amount of internal space taken up by the mounting system.

Good luck with your search and I hope this story helps a bit.
John
John Bentall
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Thanks John, that's helpful info  :-)
I'll have a better look at the City bag.
Peter
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I have two bags for my WC RT, the smaller city bag and a larger GS bag, you can fit them to your own needs as the new bags come with no holes drilled (as you may know).

No issues with clearance.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've just fitted the Motech daypack, fits great and will have enough space for my needs :)

pwbike

Post by pwbike »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I have two bags for my WC RT, the smaller city bag and a larger GS bag...
No issues with clearance.
Thanks for that, it looks like the City might be a good choice for me.
Peter
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Casbar wrote: I've just fitted the Motech daypack, fits great and will have enough space for my needs :)
Yes, it's a good little bag, but I can't fit the camera gear I'd like to into it.
Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

pwbike wrote: Yes, it's a good little bag, but I can't fit the camera gear I'd like to into it.

Lucky I don't have that issue, the only camera I own is on my iPhone :)