LC Top Box - Back rest options?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve Hendrick

LC Top Box - Back rest options?

Post by Steve Hendrick »

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Has anybody fitted the GTL style back rest to their RTLC, as in picture below. I have asked my local Motorrad, and they want £550 + vat, just for the GTL back rest, before fitting !!!
Any alternative solutions considered.

many thanks

Steve
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 19.02.33.png
guest2360

Re: LC Top Box - Back rest options?

Post by guest2360 »

Can't believe anybody has done that.  To start with you will also need to buy new lid hinges as the end of the back rest is bolted to them.  The pillion area will also be much reduced as it's made to sit correctly with the top box sat a further 30mm back. 
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I'm about to do this.  I'll take plenty of pictures.  I have read that there is a space issue with the new setup but I can't see how.
BTW - the new hinges came with the backrest.

FYI - the price was $615 US for the backrest. 
The case itself was a few dollars more!

I have also been told that there will be drilling involved as there are different mount points - again - I'll document my adventure.
Last edited by nh_handyman on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

nh_handyman wrote: I'm about to do this.  I'll take plenty of pictures.  I have read that there is a space issue with the new setup but I can't see how.
BTW - the new hinges came with the backrest.

FYI - the price was $615 US for the backrest. 
The case itself was a few dollars more!

I have also been told that there will be drilling involved as there are different mount points - again - I'll document my adventure.

As long as your pillion is really skinny, its should be fine!

:alas:
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

First - there was no change in the space on the rear seat.
Second - I did not replace the hinges - didn't know there was a screw there - however, the backrest is fine without them. I'm going to be leaving it with the existing hinges and see how it goes.
Third - better support for the passenger!
-- excuse the rotation on a few of the images
Attachments
20170128_132740.jpg
20170128_132721.jpg
20170128_132639.jpg
20170128_122331.jpg
2017-01-28_14.40.42.jpg
Last edited by nh_handyman on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Looks good to me if it does not hinder anything. All I need now is to convince wife to be my pillion- naaah prefer solo riding, no nagging, no music, just me, engine noise, clunks and big grins
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The difference in space is at the backrest as it's much larger than the original one and unless the pillion is child like will push them forward.  If you don't attach the rest on the hinges ensure the pillion doesn't use the ends of the rest to support themselves when getting on or off.  I had the box on a 1600 GTL and the rest allowed my pillion to sit upright when resting on it.  On the 1600 the whole box is set 30mm further back.
Attachments
IMG_0222.JPG
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

nh_handyman wrote: First - there was no change in the space on the rear seat ..... Third - better support for the passenger! .....

Thanks for sharing.
I now need to ensure my wife doesn't see this thread - I think my top box is big enough as is.  😜
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Steve Hendrick

Post by Steve Hendrick »

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the conversation, I am now a lot wiser. However unless I can get a GTL back rest from a breakers yard, I cannot see the effort being worth it.

P.S, this may be heresy on this site, but I am trying to replicate Goldwing levels of comfort on my RT, as that was my previous bike. My wife really enjoyed the comfort on the GL, and even though she only accompanies me during summer trips, I would like to try to make it as comfy as she was used to. Floorboards however are not on the wish list...

regards,
Steve
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

Hinge replacement issue:

I agree there may be an issue if that little bit of the backrest is used for support by the passenger.  I'll be keeping an eye on that.

And this was the 2016 RT case (without the lights). 

The installation was straight forward.

The bigger backrest comes in two pieces, you bolt the upper section on to the lower one,  unbolt the existing backrest from the case and bolt in the new one.

The hinge swap would take a a bit longer as you need to take the top case apart to get at everything.

I was surprised that the new backrest came with a new latch assembly.  I can't see any need to replace it (so I didn't).

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

None of the backrest assembly comes as a kit so the latch assembly by which I assume you mean the lid  locking latch defiantly has nothing to do with it.
Where did you get it all from?
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I ordered the stuff from MAX BMW - their Hampton, NH store which is 1 hr from my house.  When I asked about the latch after getting it home didn't know why it came.  I'll push him on it and maybe I can trade the latch for the hinges :-)

I have not looked in detail at the invoice they gave me.  I got several other items while I was there.