Russell DL Rear Seat Opinions Wanted -

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DBLXX

Russell DL Rear Seat Opinions Wanted -

Post by DBLXX »

I will be ordering a RDL seat for my 2016 BMW R1200RT in the next 2 weeks and have a question about the rear seat. I haven't ever and will never have a passenger on my bike. What is your suggestion for the rear seat pad?  Should I have it done just to keep the looks consistent?  Do you have any other suggestions for me if there is 0 chance it's ever used? I'm open to new and unique ideas if you have any.

Thanks
Last edited by DBLXX on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Re: Russell DL Rear Seat Opinions Wanted -

Post by LAF »

I think for a very nominal fee they will do the rear seat as a "normal" sized.  I always said 130 LBS 5'4". 

I can count on one hand the people who road on the back of my 07 LT or my 10 FJR, or my now 15 RTW.  But no one complained. 

I did it to allow them to shape the seats similar while replacing foam, and it could not hurt as I always carry a https://ortliebusa.com/product/rack-pack/ on the rear seat when I travel. 

I just figured since the cost was reasonable it would help disperse the weight of the bag better than stock foam.

Hope this helps.
CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

I never have a back passenger either so I did not have them do anything to the passenger other than their standard recovering of it to match the front. If I remember correctly, they do not charge anything additional for that, it was part of the deal to work your rider seat.

Edit: I did add their backrest though, which mounts in the rear seat, so that might have something to do with them recovering the seat at no additional cost ??
Last edited by CWRoady on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I have owned many Russell Day-Long seats. I do ride with my wife some, and the Russell seat for a passenger can be quite an improvement over a stock seat.
But, If I rode solo I would not have the rear seat modified. Typically the price posted includes recovering the rear seat to match the front, modified, seat. The simply replace the cover with the same stitching and pattern so it all looks factory.
Better check right away, about this time of year they start getting busy and by spring there can be a 2-3 month backlog!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.