Boxer engines and rider injuries

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bmwdean

Boxer engines and rider injuries

Post by bmwdean »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25793434

This is very interesting. My story would support that finding.

About a dozen years ago, I was riding my BMW R100RT (boxer engine) south on Mission Road south of Tucson, Arizona, USA. It was a two-lane road with a 50 MPH (80 km/h) speed limit, and I was riding about that speed. Coming toward me was a roofer driving a pickup truck and pulling a hot-tar trailer. Just before reaching me, the left wheel came off his trailer at a closing speed of something near 100 MPH (161 km/h). I had no time to react. The wheel plowed into my left exhaust pipe and cylinder, throwing me off the bike, which was totaled. Were it not for that cylinder, it would have hit my leg to devastating effect. As it was, I suffered a broken right ulna from being thrown to the roadway.

At the time I realized that the left cylinder had saved my left leg, which was undamaged.

BTW, I was wearing full leathers and a full helmet at the time, for which was also thankful.
Last edited by bmwdean on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
guest2360

Re: Boxer engines and rider injuries

Post by guest2360 »

On a recent tour one of our group on a 1200 RS , when putting down his side stand slipped and the bike dropped pinning his ankle under the cylinder.  You can't win em all.  He just ended up limping for the rest of the week.
Bradyman

Post by Bradyman »

Thanks for sharing the article!  Nice unintended benefit of owning these wonderful bikes.       
And I'll take the limp :)
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Not an RT, but my 1150gs after an 'old dear' accelerated out of a side road as I passed (she told Police she had pushed the accelerator instead of the brake by mistake). Without a doubt those big sticky out bits saved my leg from serious damage:
Her car didn't do so well....