2014 LC Final Drive Boot Hole

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
MacJ

2014 LC Final Drive Boot Hole

Post by MacJ »

I gave my 2014  LC a clean this afternoon and while I was drying it off I noticed a small (5 mm) hole in the top of the Final Drive rubber boot. It is uneven in shape and seems to be a fault in the material. There is no sign of impact and the bike has not been in any collisions.

I have not noticed this before and I do keep on top of cleaning, particularly at this time of year. The bike is in for service next week but I'm wondering if anyone has come across a anything like this before?

Attachments
P1010733.jpg
guest2360

Re: 2014 LC Final Drive Boot Hole

Post by guest2360 »

Is the boot not split? 
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Just checked mine, also a 2014 LC. There is no matching hole in that location, but the rubber moulding does feel a bit thinner there than in other areas of the boot. Possibly some inconsistency in the thickness of the moulding?...and maybe yours has worn through or split or been pierced somehow?
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

There's no split in the boot but it does seem to be a manufacturing defect as if the rubber is very thin in that spot. I don't see how its been pierced as its pretty much protected by the panniers and body work. I am concerned about water and dirt ingress but all should be revealed in the workshop on Tuesday.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

If they are going to replace boot, make sure final drive splines get a luging, will save you later down the road!
Jim
vx5r

Post by vx5r »

I had a similar situation on my 1974 R90S back in the late 90's.  I used Liquid Electrical Tape (black) to fill and smooth the hole.  It tool a few coats and some patients.  About half a dozen years later I had the rear assembly apart to check the clutch and lube the splines.  I then replaced the boot.  Still have the boot in a plastic baggie in the parts bin!
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Had the bike in for service and BMW have been asked to consider if its a manufacturing defect. The tech believes that there may have been issues with damage caused to the boot by the joint in the past but not at this point. There may also be an issue with the clutch so it booked in for examination next week,