RT LC Autocom & B2B Installation

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

RT LC Autocom & B2B Installation

Post by Tiedend »

Hi everyone

This is my first post having been getting a feel for the forum over the past few months. I’m based in Berkshire in the UK.

I’m getting a new RT LC in March that I ordered last November. The bike will have Nav V & the Audio system.

I’m an observer for the IAM and I've had an Autocom SPA + PMR B2B radio in my previous bike. This has all been removed from the bike in preparation for an install on the RT. I’ve also purchased Autocom Part numbers 2275 to connect the SPA through the bike speakers and 2437 - the direct battery connection which my current bike did not seem to have.

My BMW dealer has said to me that they stopped installing Autocom units 3 years when they had a problem with the support they got from Autocom over a warranty issue. I think that they are going to install everything for me but they didn’t seem very enthusiastic.

I've looked at various posts on the forum about Autocom SPA installations. The posts and photos I've seen seem to suggest there is room under the pillion seat of the RT LC for the SPA unit and a PMR radio. The dealer wasn’t sure what might or might not fit but from the posts and pics it looks like there is room.

If my dealer doesn’t install the SPA & PMR radio has anyone had an install of an SPA system in the UK by a franchised BMW dealer as that may be an alternative route for me to follow. I’d rather not attempt the installation myself volts, amps & ohms are all electrickery to me and I know I’ll have a problem that I won’t be able to solve myself. On the whole i think it’ll be better for it to be installed professionally.

Thanks, in advance for any advice or suggestion you might have.

Graham

Graham
guest2360

Re: RT LC Autocom & B2B Installation

Post by guest2360 »

I suspect your dealer is making more money out of the BMW headsets than Autocom.  That's more likely to be the reason for their reluctance to fit it.  Can't comment on it all fitting behind the rear seat but I doubt it and of course the pillion seat is not instantly removeable forceasy access to it all.
Tiedend
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

You're probably right to some extent RTman10 but thanks for the reply.

This thread seem to suggest it will all go under the pillion seat. https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=17911#p17911

Once installed & set up regular access won't be an needed. At least that's been my experience with Autocom units in the past.

If I've read things correctly the audio unit is under the pillion seat. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The service guy at my dealer didn't seem to think it was there but under the fairing somewhere. If it is under the seat that does'nt fill one with confidence.

Graham
Graham
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your joking, he didn't know where the audio unit was.  He must have been there all week.  It's smack underneath and leaves very little room for much else.  And behind the seat under the rack is the alarm.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I think fitting may be a challenge. I fitted my new RT LC with a DVR system. The data recorder was, quite literally, the size of a packet of cigarettes but it still took me an hour to find a place under the pillion seat where I could fit it. And that involved relocating the diagnostic socket and the connector next to it. I think the only place where anything like an intercom - especially one with an added radio - will go is under the rack but from what I have seen on my bike that area is not completely waterproof.

If I end up fitting my Starcom system to the RT I suspect it will end up behind some of the front faring panels. There is a lot more space there than under the seat.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Autocom units will fit but with a radio attached no chance.  The SPA unit is also not the smallest.  I would ring round dealers to see if any near you are more knowledgeable.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Honestly, I wouldn't let a BMW dealer near my RT LC with audio.

I had my SP-A unit fitted by Sam Wray at Chainspeed Ltd, near Leamington Spa. He is an ex-Autocom employee and is the country's "guru". He will also test your existing installation thoroughly and weed out any "noisy" cables that are about to break down. Sam also knows all the mounting tricks so that everything says working reliably.

If you call him up, say that John Bentall sent you.

.. and if you change you mind at the last minute, he can also sell you a top-notch Bluetooth system.
Hope this helps....
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

My dealers (Alan Jefferies) fit the autocom on my 2014 RT (with audio unit) along with a Pitt switch and the little switch that flicks between speakers or headset,  they didn't report any difficulties
As the previous fella said... Sam at Chainspeed is good, and very helpful
Tiedend
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be giving Chainspeed a call.

I've had Autocom installs in Leamington when they were based there and if there's an ex Autocom guy there then all the better.

Stay safe everyone.
Graham
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I have an Autocom fitted to mine (2016) and a Kenwood PMR, I have the PMR tucked away inside the plastic cover on the nearside just forward of the pannier, although the radio is water resistant I have put it inside a ziplock bag, I had the same arrangement on my previous K1600. No problems for the fours years of ownership. This time I power it from the rear mounted 12v outlet as I sometimes use a Bluetooth setup.
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Paggers. I have installed my Starcom behind the fairing. I will take some photos at weekend and post them as it may help you.
chappers2a
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

chappers2a wrote: Paggers. I have installed my Starcom behind the fairing. I will take some photos at weekend and post them as it may help you.
Many thanks. So far I'm coping fine with the BT connection to the Nav and audio but I plan to hang on to the Starcom just in case I need to go B2B radio or just decide I want to go back wired.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Tiedend
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

Thanks everyone for suggestions & advice.

Chainspeed have an ex Autocom employee who is happy to fit my SPA + B2B.

I'll be making a trip up to them after I've taken delivery in March.

Once done I'll post details of how it's all fitted in.

Thanks again.
Graham
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

As promised to Paggers, some photo's of my Starcom installation. It sits neatly inside the side fairing with a couple of pieces of 3m dual lock which is plenty strong enough to hold it in place but allows easy removal for adjustment etc...I just need to fashion some sort of splash guard to keep the unit  dry in heavy rain and when washing. The wiring for the audio is fed behind the tupperware (removal required)to the loudspeaker sockets where I tapped into the red and blue speaker wiring.  The Kenwood PMR radio sits in the tail piece.  On my previous bike I put the Starcom under the pillion seat but that was awkward for adjustment.(having to remove the seat) and also because of the lack of space a wire from the Starcom rubbed against something under the seat  and over time wore through and I had to replace the cable.    Hope this helps anyone thinking of fitting a Starcom or perhaps an Autocom.
Attachments
DSC02385.JPG
DSC02383.JPG
DSC02382.JPG
DSC02381.JPG
chappers2a