New owner

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Foresttoffee

New owner

Post by Foresttoffee »

Hi everyone, a little late to be asking this, but I have just bought (which is why it's a little late to ask) a 2005 R1200RT, took it for a test ride & loved it straight away. I paid my deposit & will be picking it up next week, but since getting home I have been trawling the internet & have come across a few 'brake servo' horror stories. I know the servo hasn't been bypassed, so have I just dropped a clanger, or is the whole thing been blown out of proportion?
Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New owner

Post by pwbike »

As far as I'm aware, having the brake system service fully and following the BMW stipulated procedure on an annual basis should see it continue to work well. I think it's a time consuming job with a fair amount of disassembly, so people neglect to do it thoroughly and that's where the issues stem from. I was considering a 2006 bike that had the servo system too, but in the end was tempted by the later models and decided it was worth the extra money.
Peter
Foresttoffee

Post by Foresttoffee »

Thanks for that, has put my mind at rest a little. The previous owner seems to have been meticulous with his servicing, I'll try & follow his lead & all should be good.

hbarclay

Post by hbarclay »

I also purchased a 2006 R1200RT on Saturday Feb 4th. I was well aware of the brake module issue when I was shopping but this was too good a deal to pass up. Brakes are currently working fine and my plan is the same as yours, meticulous maintenance and hope for the best.

I would like to think that ModuleMasters will eventually start rebuilding these so it becomes a non issue, but if not there is always the option of plumbing around the module and having brakes without ABS.

For now I have a bike I really enjoy and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's not a matter of having no ABS.  Without the servo there are next to no brakes.  Just try pushing the bike forward with the engine off and apply the front brake. I can't see anybody investing in rebuilding the unit.  It was only produced for a little under 2 years so there can't be many still,on the road.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: It's not a matter of having no ABS.  Without the servo there are next to no brakes.  Just try pushing the bike forward with the engine off and apply the front brake. I can't see anybody investing in rebuilding the unit.  It was only produced for a little under 2 years so there can't be many still,on the road.

If the servo goes TU, then you will probably find a unit a breakers yard or alternatively, Steve Grover at Motoscot is rebuilding ABS units. I had no trouble in 10 years ownership of an '05 RT.
John Bentall
Foresttoffee

Post by Foresttoffee »

hbarclay wrote: I also purchased a 2006 R1200RT on Saturday Feb 4th. I was well aware of the brake module issue when I was shopping but this was too good a deal to pass up. Brakes are currently working fine and my plan is the same as yours, meticulous maintenance and hope for the best.

I would like to think that ModuleMasters will eventually start rebuilding these so it becomes a non issue, but if not there is always the option of plumbing around the module and having brakes without ABS.

For now I have a bike I really enjoy and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
Likewise, no regrets, love the bike. Good luck.

Foresttoffee

Post by Foresttoffee »

beemerboy9 wrote:
If the servo goes TU, then you will probably find a unit a breakers yard or alternatively, Steve Grover at Motoscot is rebuilding ABS units. I had no trouble in 10 years ownership of an '05 RT.
No problems in 10 years, that's good to hear & thanks for the info on the rebuilds.