Cylindrical connector plug for deluxe top case?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Cylindrical connector plug for deluxe top case?

Post by pwbike »

I have a 2014 RT1200RT with central locking, it has the cylindrical electrical socket under the pillion seat for connecting the deluxe top box with lights and central locking.

I've bought a Givi V56 Maxia 4 top box and I'd like to buy the cylindrical plug that is used on the OEM deluxe top box, or perhaps the wiring harness from the OEM top box. I intend to add an interior LED light and a central locking actuator to the top box and would like to connect it via the BMW socket under the pillion seat.

I've looked on the online parts sites and at the online parts microfiche resources, but I cannot find the plug or the top box harness listed.
Does anyone know if they can be purchased as parts or perhaps from another supplier?

Peter
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Cylindrical connector plug for deluxe top case?

Post by TJRL »

A great question and I would also love to know the answer!

When I got my bike in 2015 I asked the same thing on another forum because I was looking to turn the factory brake light in the BMW de-lux top box into a pulsing one. There is a can-bus friendly gismo to do this but it requires cutting into the loom going to the top box. My idea was to purchase the same BMW plug and socket you are asking about so that I could make all the connections in a short adaptor lead ( :Pplug one end socket the other) and so avoid cutting into my 1 week old loom.

Two years later and I am still looking :P
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Real OEM does not show it at all.  The system was stolen from the K1600GTL and on the parts list for that it's not shown.  So I reckon it's not available unless you buy it attached to the box.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

TJRL wrote: My idea was to purchase the same BMW plug and socket you are asking about so that I could make all the connections in a short adaptor lead ( :Pplug one end socket the other) and so avoid cutting into my 1 week old loom.
Two years later and I am still looking :P
RTman10 wrote: The system was stolen from the K1600GTL and on the parts list for that it's not shown.  So I reckon it's not available unless you buy it attached to the box.
Thankyou both for that info, disheartening as it is.

So this is probably not a Bosch or Hella or similar connector with use outside the BMW OEM world?  I know I've not seen such a plug/socket before.

I tried looking up the deluxe top box to see if the wiring harness or plug was available as a repair part, I couldn't find it. But I'm new to the BMW bike world and don't know all the good places to look.

Maybe it's worth trying motorcycle wreckers here in Australia to see if they have any crashed bikes with the deluxe top box that I could get the harness or plug from.
Peter
timminator

Post by timminator »

This is a real sickener, but I had one of those plugs and threw it away.  I bought the deluxe top case online, from KFM Motorrad, not realizing I needed central locking to connect it.  Ended up cutting off the cylindrical plug and fitted it with a CANOpener kit from clearwater lights.  The central locking doesn't work, obviously, but the brake light is now functional.

Sorry man, would have hung onto that plug if I thought anyone would ever want it!
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

If you cannot find the plug in a salvage yard, there are a number of aftermarket CANBUS diagnostic tools that have this cylindrical connector.  The problem is that you would probably have to pay $200+ for the tool, only to cut the plug off.
BMW MOA #210438
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

@timminator What a shame, oh well.
Your info gave me a new thing to search for, the plug and socket used for the top box connection are the same as the diagnostic connector, thanks for that. As you noted there are adapter cables from the BMW 10 pin diagnostic connector to the standard ODBII connectors, but they have the pins and wires in them to suit diagnostic connections, I bet the top box woring doesn't use the same set of pins as the ODBII arrangement.

A bit of googling found me the plugs and sockets.
BMW ICOM 10 pin connector

Even better, I found a place that has the plugs. Now I need to contact them and see if I can buy small quantities, like one or two plugs.
http://www.autotestaid.com/productshow. ... 836&sorts=

Thanks a lot for your tips and ideas.
Peter
timminator

Post by timminator »

pwbike wrote: @timminator What a shame, oh well.
Your info gave me a new thing to search for, the plug and socket used for the top box connection are the same as the diagnostic connector, thanks for that. As you noted there are adapter cables from the BMW 10 pin diagnostic connector to the standard ODBII connectors, but they have the pins and wires in them to suit diagnostic connections, I bet the top box woring doesn't use the same set of pins as the ODBII arrangement.

A bit of googling found me the plugs and sockets.
BMW ICOM 10 pin connector

Even better, I found a place that has the plugs. Now I need to contact them and see if I can buy small quantities, like one or two plugs.
https://www.autotestaid.com/productshow.asp?id=1195&sortsid=836&sorts=

Good luck, hope it works out for you!  Please post results/pics once you get it sorted out.
BMW MOA #210438
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

pwbike wrote: I found a place that has the plugs. Now I need to contact them and see if I can buy small quantities, like one or two plugs.
https://www.autotestaid.com/productshow ... 836&sorts=
Wow, you have done better than us in no time at all - Respect!

If you do reach out to them, can you see if they can supply the sockets as well as the plugs in small quantities? If so I might want to piggy back on your order, P&P will not doubt be more than the goods but so be it.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

TJRL wrote: If you do reach out to them, can you see if they can supply the sockets as well as the plugs in small quantities? If so I might want to piggy back on your order, P&P will not doubt be more than the goods but so be it.
I've asked about supplying small quantities and the price. Waiting for a response.
Peter