Latest iTunes and MP3 export

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
PatriotBMW

Latest iTunes and MP3 export

Post by PatriotBMW »

Has anyone mastered exporting their iTunes library into MP3 format onto USB that the RT will recognize?  I'm not having good luck....any help (or a video) would be great!
2014 R1200RT
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Latest iTunes and MP3 export

Post by pkpilot »

PatriotBMW wrote: Has anyone mastered exporting their iTunes library into MP3 format onto USB that the RT will recognize?  I'm not having good luck....any help (or a video) would be great!
Open the USB on your desktop. Then open any folder on the desktop and do a search for "music."  That will put your in the folder that has you music. Drag the music files into the USB. That should do it. Worked for me.

I can't seem to get the media to play on my NAV5. Still trying to crack that nut...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Guessing your music is stored in Apple's AAC format.  If so, you first need to convert them to MP3 before exporting from your iTunes library.  There's a lot of instructions on the internet for doing this, just google "convert apple music to mp3".  But here's the basic steps:

https://www.lifewire.com/convert-itunes-songs-to-mp3-2000442
Last edited by timminator on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

pkpilot wrote: I can't seem to get the media to play on my NAV5. Still trying to crack that nut...

If your RT has the OEM audio system, I don't think it's possible to play music from the Nav5.  If it doesn't have audio, the Nav5 should play Mp3 music straightaway.  I transferred my Nav5 from my audio-equipped RT to my new GS.  Music worked instantly...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Correct.  The Nav tells you you can't if you have the audio unit.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

If you have a fitted audio unit you can play MP3 files via a flash drive and a lead already in the right hand side dash pocket
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And it works very well.  The only down side is you can't have the digital speedo at the same time.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It worked for me fine.

However, what worked a lot easier (given the hassle of exporting all my albums from AAC to MP3 format) was to buy an old 4th generation iPod and the BMW mini audio cable to connect it to the bike. That way I can just sync the iPod up with my iTunes library - including playlists - and then stick it in the bike. Simples.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

timminator wrote: Guessing your music is stored in Apple's AAC format.  If so, you first need to convert them to MP3 before exporting from your iTunes library.  There's a lot of instructions on the internet for doing this, just google "convert apple music to mp3".  But here's the basic steps:

https://www.lifewire.com/convert-itunes-songs-to-mp3-2000442

Yes, I've done that - and the songs will play but I loose functionality for some unknown reason.  What I mean is that only half of the artists are listed, half of the albums listed, playlists didn't make it over; so basically all I can do is listen to the songs in alphabetical order....
2014 R1200RT
timminator

Post by timminator »

PatriotBMW wrote:
Yes, I've done that - and the songs will play but I loose functionality for some unknown reason.  What I mean is that only half of the artists are listed, half of the albums listed, playlists didn't make it over; so basically all I can do is listen to the songs in alphabetical order....

I see what you are saying.  I can't explain why only a portion of your songs got converted, I would just give that another try.  You aren't going to get the full functionality of an iPod if you are downloading to a USB stick.  I exported a few of my favorite playlists and put them into different folders on the stick and that seems to work ok.  The songs do play in order, I don't know of a way to make them shuffle.

I know you can get a special adaptor to play an iPod directly, maybe that is an option you should consider?  Another option is to connect your phone to your helmet speakers via bluetooth, and then you will have the full functionality of iTunes streaming from your phone.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The audio unit menu includes shuffle, and quite a few more.
Look under USB Settings.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.