Computer says No....

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest3075

Computer says No....

Post by guest3075 »

I picked up my 2017 model RT back in November and noticed that if it's left for a few days, the computer settings return to factory.

I like tha alarm not to beep, and the speedo to be displayed in the middle of the display, and I also like the heated grips to be on the one click button.

Every time I ride the bike, it's set to beep, no speedo and no quick button.

It's due into dealer on the 4th, for service. Anyone else had the same problem?
guest2360

Re: Computer says No....

Post by guest2360 »

All the things you mention can be set on the Menu button.  Look at your quick guide booklet under settings.  Once stored they should stay.
Don't quite understand your problems with the grips.  They always switch off when you have switched off for a period and must be reset.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

2017 model here, picked up in December. No such issue. Occasionally my bike has gone for a couple of weeks between rides and there has been no problem with it forgetting settings. Definitely something to talk to the dealer about.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

Clearly the solution is to reduce the interval between rides [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

RTman10 wrote: All the things you mention can be set on the Menu button.  Look at your quick guide booklet under settings.  Once stored they should stay.
Don't quite understand your problems with the grips.  They always switch off when you have switched off for a period and must be reset.

They are set, but computer forgets them.

The heated grips is whatbI set the diamond button to recall in the winter (save going through the menus) this is also forgotten  each time I ride after a delay of a few days.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

mcwhirtj wrote: Clearly the solution is to reduce the interval between rides

On a crappy contract which means I don't get out to ride very often at the moment, taking some time off in April to rectify the problem.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The heated grips is whatbI set the diamond button to recall in the winter (save going through the menus) this is also forgotten  each time I ride after a delay of a few days.
Don't think that will work as they are programmed to always turn off.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

RTman10 wrote: The heated grips is whatbI set the diamond button to recall in the winter (save going through the menus) this is also forgotten  each time I ride after a delay of a few days.
Don't think that will work as they are programmed to always turn off.

Think we are missing something. I know how they set, but when I go to the diamond button, it's empty and doesn't save any previous settings, I don't want the grips on all the time, but the computer seems to forget any saved settings.

This post isn't to do with heated grips, just the computer forgetting any settings I have saved?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I realise it's not just about the grips.  You obviously have a problem getting it to save your favourites and no doubt your dealer can sort that. I was just not aware you could do anything with the grip setting in favourites.

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

RTman10 wrote: I realise it's not just about the grips.  You obviously have a problem getting it to save your favourites and no doubt your dealer can sort that. I was just not aware you could do anything with the grip setting in favourites.

you can set the heated grips menu to be the one that appears when pressing the diamond  I have this  setting too.  Works every time at Christmas it was in the  Garage for 10 days without moving  but normally its a max of three days between being ridden.  Do remember  if you are already in the menu intuitively pressing the diamond for up or back can reset the favourite  took me a a few times to work this out,  but then I didn't read the manual
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

exportman wrote: you can set the heated grips menu to be the one that appears when pressing the diamond  I have this  setting too.  Works every time at Christmas it was in the  Garage for 10 days without moving  but normally its a max of three days between being ridden.  Do remember  if you are already in the menu intuitively pressing the diamond for up or back can reset the favourite  took me a a few times to work this out,  but then I didn't read the manual

I am very familiar with how the system works, what I am saying is that a number of things on the computer dont get saved if I don't run the bike for a few days.

Any saved settings I have , are great for a day, but longer than a couple of days the bike forgets my settings.

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

If I had to guess I would say the OBC probably has a small rechargeable battery backup to retain settings while the ignition is off and the battery for that is faulty. Potentially it is an integrated component, in which case they may have to replace the entire computer.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's possible but are the saved settings not lost if you disconnect the battery.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

To add another data point to the discussion.

My 2014 R1200RT has twice done a little bit of what you have experienced.
Twice now when starting (warm start once, cold start the second time), the bike cranks, sounds like it backfires, then stops turning over.
The dash setting for the background display went from my preferred Speedo to the default of RT Logo,
then the second time the background changes as per the frst time, and the Info display went from my preferred Range, back to the default of Average Fuel Consumption.

It's as if the backfire (or whatever is going on) loads the starter so much for a moment that the battery drops below a critical voltage and the dash User preferences are partially lost.

I dropped the bike in for its 50,000 km service today and discussed it with the service person, he suspects the battery may be on its way out and causing the resets due to low voltage.
Peter
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Lost settings would point to a low power issue. I would check first the battery terminals - clean and tight. Then try an experiment. When you are not going to ride for a few days put the bike on a battery charger. Does this solve the problem ? If it does then I would suspect the battery is defective.I know its a new bike but you can sometimes get a dud battery.