MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by exportman »

My previous bike a Triumph Sprint GT,  I replaced the OEM fitted Bridgstones after less than 800 miles  had no confidence in them at all. New set of PR4s I got 8000 out of the rear replaced both as though they were both legal the back seemed to have lost a lot of grip and the front had worn in a wave pattern that had started affecting the handling.  So second set of PR4s  I ran the front on slightly higher pressure  which seemed to cure the wear issue the rear had 9000 miles but though still legal tread depth  it needed changing, but I part exed the bike  Guess there most be something in the tyre compound make up when the get to a certain wear point they certainly move around more.

The RT  came with PR4s too  not given me any grief yet  but not many miles on the clock as I am mainly using it for the commute at the moment  It will be March before I get out more and start putting some miles on it
ghat

Post by ghat »

The PR4's came as stock tyres on my wifes 2015 RT.  Changing them off this winter and putting them back on again.  Got about 21000km's on them so they seem to wear pretty well.  Also they're very good in the rain.  Keep in mind also that my wife is not a very aggressive rider which probably contributes to the KM's
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

ghat wrote: The PR4's came as stock tyres on my wifes 2015 RT. 

Your wife's got an RT?

I like her already!

;)
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

The police here in Victoria run PR4 on their bikes and the two I spoke with seemed happy with them. But they still flatten out the rears with all their commuting type riding, and feather off the fronts with heavy braking and U turns.

Mine had Bridgestone T30 on it when I got it, they were near new and they were ruined front and back after about 7000 km.
Front had flattened sides and a narrow flat top, tread down past wear bars.
Rear had a very squared off profile, at or past wear bars on the sides and all tread gone in the centre.
They seemed like they weren't able to cope with the heavy bike being ridden hard.

I replaced them with Metzeler Roadtec 01 which I've seen a lot of good press about. So far they feel great and don't show signs of wear, they don't seem to roughen up and show obvious wear like the Bridgestones did after each ride.
Peter
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Had the PR4 GT on my Trophy, great tyre but be aware they do seem to pick up punchers once you get to around 3mm and blow. Not sure if this is down to the rubber compound, but I for one would have them fitted to the RT.

I,m finding the current supplied tyres okay from BMW, but time will tell once I get closer to the lower depth of threads.
GJ-MOTO
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Just had PR4's (not 'GT's)in a case of a 'needs must situation') fitted on my 11 RT, Will they be ok for the next 12 months? not looking at massive mileage!3 to 5k possibly, Just wondering? as they fit in the weight category of 73 =365kg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Replaced the Z8's on my 15 RT at 3000 miles, never felt confident with them, though they handled heavy rain fine. PR4 GT's now on for last 3000 miles, expect to get 7000+ out of these, pricy but worth it in my opinion
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just had PR4's (not 'GT's)in a case of a 'needs must situation') fitted on my 11 RT, Will they be ok for the next 12 months? not looking at massive mileage!3 to 5k possibly, Just wondering? as they fit in the weight category of 73 =365kg

Not quite the same but I fitted a Z8 with the wrong rating to the rear of a 1600.  It destroyed the tyre walls in 300 miles.    I suppose it depends what the difference is in the wall strength as they specify GT for a reason.
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

I think I've got a problem with my front tyre. Please see attached photo.
It's a Pilot Road 4 GT with something like 5k miles on it and I don't like how it wears off.
I've been at BMW dealer and was told that it's because of the roundabouts and weight of the bike.
Could I ask for your opinions?
Attachments
photo_2017-02-21_19-18-41.jpg
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

To state the obvious question, do you spend your time circling roundabouts all the time...?? ;) ??? . Weight of the bike? Nah, rubbish, and I'd tell the dealer so as well! How's the rear tyre doing? Any appreciable wear on the same edge? I presume your tyre pressure(s) are what they should be, 2.5 bar F & 2.9 bar R?
Last edited by Steve F on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circlehappenork

No, rear tyre looks normal.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Tyre pressures normal. Handling okay? Nothing abnormal experienced when riding in straight line or round bends at various speeds (despite the abnormal wear on the front tyre)? Have you experienced this before with Michelin PR3/PR4 or any other brand tyre on the RT? What sort of riding do you do on the whole?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Does it go straight if you let go of the bars.  Or maybe a proper duff tyre. It's been known.  I assume the previous front tyre didn't do the same. At 5K thought it's on its way out anyway. And it look,illegal.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circlehappenork

Steve F wrote: Tyre pressures normal. Handling okay? Nothing abnormal experienced when riding in straight line or round bends at various speeds (despite the abnormal wear on the front tyre)? Have you experienced this before with Michelin PR3/PR4 or any other brand tyre on the RT? What sort of riding do you do on the whole?
Pressure's ok, I believe it handles well, sometimes would bite a bit if too fast on a roundabout. Had Metzeler Z8 before and didn't have that kind of wear. Riding I'd say 70/30 motorway/city.
[size=2px]
RTman10 wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px]Does it go straight if you let go of the bars.  Or maybe a proper duff tyre. It's been known.  I assume the previous front tyre didn't do the same. At 5K thought it's on its way out anyway.[/size][size=2px][size=2px][/quote][/size]
[size=2px]Yes, it rides straight. Bought and fitted the tyre at same workshop that I've been going for past 3 years[/size]
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Long story short...

I've been along-term fan of PR4s on other bikes.  My RT fried front PR4s at an unbelievable rate, to the extent that I went back to Z8s. 

I think it was because I like a bike to load the front, so always rode it with a lot of rear pre-load, putting the front tyre under undue stress.

For quite a long time I'd been thinking that the PR4 simply wasn't as good a tyre as the PR3 anyway.  My RT PR4 experience confirmed that view...