Heated grips stuck on in position 1

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Richardmurphy

Heated grips stuck on in position 1

Post by Richardmurphy »

hi all, went for a short run recently on my 11 r1200rt and noticed that the heated grips were stuck in the on position (one dot). The switch is having no effect digital readout is showing one dot and will not change.  The Grips are heating to stage one level.  All the other switches are working. I have tried disconnecting the battery but this made no difference.
blokeonthemove

Re: Heated grips stuck on in position 1

Post by blokeonthemove »

Since your bike is out of warranty and switches are expensive I would get some switch spray and apply it to  the gaps around the switch then work it in by switching on/off high/low to attempt to clean the contacts
and maybe displace any moisture within. I always wrap mine in cling film prior to washing the bike.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Now I'm curious.....what do you do about switchgear protection when riding in the rain, or if the bike is outside in the rain....???😉🤔
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not necessarily rain as it's had 6 years on the road without doing it. 
Richardmurphy

Post by Richardmurphy »

I'll try the spray and see if that helps, I was wondering if it could be a relay switch stuck on or is there a relay on that circuit? The  bike has only 9000 miles on it and I am generally very careful when washing it.  The switch is stuck on and will not change to the second setting or to off when pressed.  It comes on with the ignition.  Any ideas, has anyone come across this problem before?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think the actual switch has broken, nothing to do with the electrics.  Your only option if the spray doesn't free it is a new one.
Richardmurphy

Post by Richardmurphy »

My original post may have been misleading.  The switch seems to function ok, ie it will click on and off, or on, on, off as it should be. I can hear it, but it has no effect on led readout or the grips.  They continue to heat up to stage 1 and will not go to stage 2 or turn off despite pressing the switch.  I must emphasise that the switch seems to function mechanically but not electronically if that makes sense. That's the reason why I'm wondering about a relay ring stuck etc.  I don't even know if the circuit has a relay or its location.  Any help appreciated
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Understood.  Might still be a broken switch though.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

From your original description it does sound more like a defective switch than a relay or similar. A bit of basic logical fault diagnosis:

The switch talks to the OBC which then controls the heated grips. If the fault was between the OBC and the grips (faulty relay for example) then when you manipulate the switch settings the display would change indicating that the OBC had received that input. The fact that the OBC display is not changing means that the fault is somewhere between the switch and the OBC. Simple (and most likely) cause is a faulty switch. Possible other scenarios are damaged wiring (can't see that being likely unless you take the bike apart a lot) or a failure of the OBC itself.

Take the switch out and use a multi-meter (or similar) to check the contacts and see if you detect a change in state when you manipulate the switch.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Richardmurphy

Post by Richardmurphy »

Many thanks Paggers and to all who replied.  I going to strip the switch today and do as you advise.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Riding in the rain? Me? I don't think so. Really I think I do more miles in Spain than in the UK. I wash the bike with a pressure washer but not close up and I avoid certain bits like switchgear and wheel bearings.