2016 RT Cruise Control Problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Littlebriar

2016 RT Cruise Control Problem

Post by Littlebriar »

I have posted this on the general discussion as well. If cross posting is not generally acceptable here, please let me know. I'm pretty new to this forum. Anyways here's the problem:
My cruise control started acting flaky a couple months ago after 10,000 miles. With cruise engaged, if you push the switch forward the speed moves up about 1 mph, if you push switch back it should reduce speed by about 1 mph. It worked fine until recently. When I pull the switch back, the speed actually goes up about 1 mph. If I pull and hold the switch, it will begin to decelerate quickly and when I release, it will settle to something like 3 mph lower than originally set.  Under warranty, the dealer replaced the left switch but the problem continues. Everything else works as expected such as set, resume, accelerate, etc. so I don't think there's anything wrong with the switch. The dealer is investigating the problem but hasn't gotten back to me yet. Sure sounds like a computer bug.
Anyone else have this problem?
Steve
guest2360

Re: 2016 RT Cruise Control Problem

Post by guest2360 »

Don't understand why you have posted the identical question twice.  If anybody here knew the answer they would have responded the first time.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

<<If cross posting is not generally acceptable here, please let me know>>

Got it. Won't do it again.
Steve
LAF

Post by LAF »

I have seen this posted on other Forums and it always ends up being the left hand switch gear getting swapped out.

I do not think it is a big deal and dealers are well aware of the issue.&nbsp; I had my right switch gear changed out on my 15 with 2000 miles on the bike.&nbsp; My cruise still seems to be hanging in there.&nbsp;

I do not think there is any calibration or serviceable parts in the cruise switch so the whole unit is swapped.&nbsp;

Like I said I have seen it come up a few times and resolution is replacing that left switch gear.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

The first thing the dealer did was replace the left switch but the problem continued.
Steve
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The first thing the dealer did was replace the left switch but the problem continued.
Take it back, insist they ride it to confirm the problem then demand another switch.&nbsp;
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I had a brand new switch fail half an hour after being fitted by my dealer as he road tested it. A replacement fitted three days later worked ok for about 5000 miles then that one too gave up. I've lost count but I think I'm on number 4 now. My off side switch has been replaced once. Christmas cracker quality.