Engine guard

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
LAF

Re: Engine guard

Post by LAF »

RTman10 wrote: Is it because by fitting steel bars everywhere they end up too heavy to keep up.

Have you in your life ever put your bike down on a side stand that was not down?  How about your foot slipping out at a fuel stop on gas and oil?
Maybe sitting at a stop light and on the white lines in a rain and your foot slips out?  I can think of a bunch of mishaps that you CAN have happen to you.  As I said I was on a goat path and grabbed a handful of front brake on packed dirt and shale and instant nap.

This is the straightest standing bike I have ever owned sitting on the side stand and it does not take much for it to go over on its throttle side because of it.

Again your bike, if you are 100% sure you will never drop or have someone knock your bike over then you have way better luck or karma then me.

And when I had my LT I threw that over on it's sides more times then I can count.  Still loved the bike and never thought of giving it up until I totaled it in 2010.

So you can buy a bag and a mirror and a cylinder head cover front upper panel and what ever else hits on a 0 mph drop versus buying bars for your bike, you are very fortunate you have the money.

I do not know one person who has never had a 0 MPH drop.  I just turned 60 so you may be way younger and have time to catch up.

I am not saying it is the weight of the bike, although it is a tall bike, but stuff does happen and I would rather hedge my bets and be proactive then be ordering new parts that are not very cheap at all.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine guard

Post by Casbar »

LAF wrote:

Have you in your life ever put your bike down on a side stand that was not down?  How about your foot slipping out at a fuel stop on gas and oil?
Maybe sitting at a stop light and on the white lines in a rain and your foot slips out?  I can think of a bunch of mishaps that you CAN have happen to you.  As I said I was on a goat path and grabbed a handful of front brake on packed dirt and shale and instant nap.

This is the straightest standing bike I have ever owned sitting on the side stand and it does not take much for it to go over on its throttle side because of it.

Again your bike, if you are 100% sure you will never drop or have someone knock your bike over then you have way better luck or karma then me.

And when I had my LT I threw that over on it's sides more times then I can count.  Still loved the bike and never thought of giving it up until I totaled it in 2010.

So you can buy a bag and a mirror and a cylinder head cover front upper panel and what ever else hits on a 0 mph drop versus buying bars for your bike, you are very fortunate you have the money.

I do not know one person who has never had a 0 MPH drop.  I just turned 60 so you may be way younger and have time to catch up.

I am not saying it is the weight of the bike, although it is a tall bike, but stuff does happen and I would rather hedge my bets and be proactive then be ordering new parts that are not very cheap at all.

Nobody is having a go at your  8)  Dropping it on a goat path would be easy, although I wouldn't have been on a goat path. I am 60 this year been riding since the 70s, including Harley and fankifully I have never yet dropped a bike. But I expect it will happen at some point, but not fitting scaffolding to help, just concentrate on not dropping it  :whistle: