Rear brake pads?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3074

Re: Rear brake pads?

Post by guest3074 »

Sullivj wrote: RT man..  Do you have a dislike of the quote function on here?  I start to read your message, and then realise that you're quoting someone above.. Why not use the quote button and properly attribute it to them?
Don't, when he does he sometimes types the reply within the quote which is just as confusing  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good, init.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

LAF wrote: I was surprised to read that RT goes through rear pads pretty quickly.  I then made a conscious effort to lessen my trail braking and concentrate using front and rear brakes together as much as I can.

The reason the rear brake pads wear quickly is because of the way the linked brake system works. The rear brake is always being used when braking of any kind. I got about 9000 miles out of my OEM rear pads and got the same out of my EBC replacements. Now on set number 3 with 21000 miles on the bike. No difference for me between the two.The rate of brake wear is very dependant upon the type of riding you do and you style. I guess if you live in the mountains and are using the brakes a lot then wear rate is going to be very different to someone who mainly does motorway miles. I'm guessing the guy who got 21K out of his rear pads must do a lot of motorway miles.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RTman10 wrote: Good, init.

No, it's nearly as annoying as some of your replies  :enjoying:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I believe back brake rapid wear is caused mainly by using it in isolation.  You are asking a lot of just one pad set on the back to slow down a heavy bike like an RT.  Just using the brake lever as you said links them all and greatly reduces rear wear.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No, it's nearly as annoying as some of your replies  :enjoying:

Nice to note you read them.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: No, it's nearly as annoying as some of your replies :enjoying:
Nice to note you read them.
Keep it up guys - I laughed out loud ! :enjoying:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Never seen any after market pads including Brembo which are exactly the same as BMW dealer supplied pads. If you know who does supply these please post details.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's like the Brembo calipers.  Definitely Brembo but only for BMW.