Left hand switchgear - replacement cost?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Simon

Left hand switchgear - replacement cost?

Post by Simon »

My 2010 RT SE's left hand switchgear seems to be failing; cruise control problems and headlight main beam not working.

The bike has ESA, ASC and cruise control, but not radio.

Given that the bike is out of warranty, any idea how much replacing the switch is going to cost?  As this is a well known problem, is replacement subsidised at dealers?
Last edited by Simon on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
guest2360

Re: Left hand switchgear - replacement cost?

Post by guest2360 »

I was told there was a 60 month warranty on them due to known problems.  If you have not owned the bike from new get a dealer to check its history .
Incidentally switchgear is not covered on an extended warranty.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I bought the bike last year from an independent dealer with a warranty, although that has now expired.

It has a full BMW service history with no record of any previous switchgear problems or replacements.

Is there likely to be any goodwill contribution to the cost from BMW / BMW dealer, or am I going to have to pay the full cost myself?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Service history doesn't normally show warranty work.  You need to visit a dealer as the info is held centrally by BMW AG. 
Can't comment on goodwill, every ask seems to get a different response but on a 6 or 7 year old bike if it's not been replaced before possibly not, but it's always worth asking.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the info.

Time to get on the phone: fingers crossed!
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Let us know how you get on Simon. A few months ago I had my left side switch replaced for the third time. If you do have to stump up the cost yourself the price is considerable. Good luck.
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Update;

Apparently, BMW's free replacement scheme for switch assemblies came to an end at the end of 2015 and any subsequent cases have to be decided on merit by BMW.

Riders of Cardiff applied on my behalf and secured a 50% contribution from BMW to the parts cost of £326, so I will be paying £163 for a new switch assembly, (plus VAT and fitting).

I'm fairly happy with that, as I bought the bike from a non-BMW dealer last year, it had had two independent services prior to that and it's only been to a BMW dealer, (Riders),once since I've had it, for replacement under warranty of the rear wheel flange and fuel pump mounting ring.  Hence, I'm not yet what they could call a regular customer, nor has the bike been within the dealership network throughout its' life.

Just waiting for the weather to improve before riding 80+ miles to Cardiff...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Left hand switch assembly is £326:00 plus VAT & fitting which if I remember correctly takes about 2hour. That was on a K1600, however it's the same part.

And RTman10 is correct, switchgear is not covered by extended warranty.