Priority a droit whilst motorcycling in France

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Priority a droit whilst motorcycling in France

Post by Peter Baker »

Always an interesting topic:-) and some good advice above re: Priority a droit, had a couple of worrying moments while driving in France but generally nothing scary and people have stopped when they should!

It gets more interesting with tailgating:-) and I have a foot in both camps.  When I see a vehicle coming up behind and closing at good speed I allow myself some "flexibility" in the speed limit to get to a gap before they arrive and let them past it is kind the polite thing to do!  Sometimes it is not possible, then we have a choice, put up with it/get used to thinking for the person behind until you are clear of the traffic or move over and get them out of your circle of danger.  Peter
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

From what I have seen.  Tailgating is the preferred French method of "persuading" someone to either move out of the way, or speed up.

I would also query on the Belgians tailgating.  I can't say I have noticed tailgating, where has it been seen?  In the South (French speaking part - Wallonia) or the North (Dutch speaking part - Vlaanderen) ?  I usually drive / ride in and around Antwerp, I am one of the slowest Belgian riders on the road.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

beemerboy9 wrote: ..... I don't think I am impeding him - I think he is driving dangerously close.
What would you do when driving a) a car? b) a motorcycle with your child on the back?

I've been there, more than once.  In the car it can be a little trickier, but on the bike I slow down. Peugeot man may then be tempted by the gap in front of me, but he can't accelerate as quickly as I can, should he be tempted to undertake. If the inside lane is busy, someone may pull out into the gap I've created, but so be it.
My most frustrating experience on European motorways is the "empty inside lane" scenario, where the centre overtaking lane is fairly busy and the few vehicles in the outside overtaking lane seem to think it is a lane for vehicles travelling at their chosen speed so never rejoin the centre lane (and therefore never look at the inside lane). There have been times when I could have travelled for miles on the inside lane and been moving quicker than anyone else. Happens to some extent in this country too when car drivers think the inside lane is only for HGVs.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Sleuth wrote: From what I have seen.  Tailgating is the preferred French method of "persuading" someone to either move out of the way, or speed up.

I would also query on the Belgians tailgating.  I can't say I have noticed tailgating, where has it been seen?  In the South (French speaking part - Wallonia) or the North (Dutch speaking part - Vlaanderen) ?  I usually drive / ride in and around Antwerp, I am one of the slowest Belgian riders on the road.

Best regards
Sleuth
[/quote

I have seen B reg cars tailgating mainly on A6 A7 auto routes as well as travelling at really high speeds.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Our Gee wrote:I have seen B reg cars tailgating mainly on A6 A7 auto routes as well as travelling at really high speeds.
I discussed this with my friend (and a F800GS rider)  he told me the Belgians were renowned for tailgating - and not moving over!  So I was wrong!

High Speeds?  Belgians have two hobbies.  Reduction of taxes by ANY means possible, and to travel at as high a speed as possible without being caught.  As I said I am classified as the slowest Belgian on the road. 
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think there is a very good reason for Belgians always travelling at high speed on their motorways.  It's to try and fly over instead of vanishing into the many huge pot holes, some which have been there for years.
Si_Burnout

Post by Si_Burnout »

RTman10 wrote: I think there is a very good reason for Belgians always travelling at high speed on their motorways.  It's to try and fly over instead of vanishing into the many huge pot holes, some which have been there for years.
It's not the potholes, we really don't want a third national hobby: Traffic jams. 
More and more Belgians are buying motorcycles so there is hope  ;)
Live to ride and ride to live.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You already have the third one.  I join it every time I get near Brussels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk