BMW tall seat vs. RDL or Laam.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Millman

BMW tall seat vs. RDL or Laam.

Post by Millman »

Hi all,

Does anyone have a tall seat and tell me if it has more padding and more comfortable than the standard?  I currently have a Laam on my Tenere and it was a big improvement over the standard.  I was getting numb in the tail bone and getting the burning in the seat. The Laam took care of it.  The RDL looks like it provides more support than the Laam but is it better than the Tall seat.  I'm 6'4", 250 lbs.  Also is the heat element still as effective on the non-BMW's?  Thanks

Greg
realshelby

Re: BMW tall seat vs. RDL or Laam.

Post by realshelby »

In my experience factory "tall" seats are just the same seat with about an inch or so more foam. Which can be more comfortable on the butt, but mostly the added height helps with knee and hip comfort.

Others can get by with stock seats, or other brands. There is only one seat that I can do back to back 800 mile days in reasonable comfort. Russell Day Long. They are on the Super Tenere, V Strom, and the new RT. I simply put one on when I get the bike and never fuss with seat pads, covers, balloons, or wonder if brand x might be better.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
duegatti
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by duegatti »

Bought my 2016 with a standard seat and quickly got a tall seat that I used in the high position.  I did this so quickly, and was motiviated primarily by leg room, that I can't really compare differences in padding and comfort associated with that padding.  I am a large rider.  The tall seat was in fact pretty good for an 8 hour, 300 mile day.

But I want to do long term/long distance touring on this bike, so I turned it into a Russell Day Long.  Huge impact on ability to reach the ground, so I am starting off with the seat in the low position. 

I just tested the heat yesterday, and it worked much better than the OEM seat.

I haven't figured out what the impact is on leg room yet, and without the stock seat for a fresh comparison, I may never.  [size=78%]I've done a couple of days in the high 100's and a 200 mile day, and the legs felt fantastic.  I wonder if it is strictly a matter of geometry, or perhaps some of the things that make your ass feel better on a RDL benefit your legs as well (better blood flow?  I don't know.)[/size]

At your height I would think you'd want the tall seat for leg room, and then might at the same time get some significant ass comfort.
Millman

Post by Millman »

Thanks. For a couple hundred more I can get the RDL for both seats. It looks like the RDL has more support than the Laam.  The web site says the extra support uses springs for riders 250+.  Is that correct?  Laam just uses different foam densities when he does his seats.

Greg
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

The Russell Day Long is the only seat that adds springs to the seat for support. I have owned both the "standard" spring package and the "heavy" spring package as I am right on the border of what they recommend. I think the spring makes a big difference after several hours as it doesn't collapse as much as foam does. Foam warms up from body heat and ambient temps. Then you have the weight compressing it, causing it to lose support. I find the "standard" spring more comfortable in my case.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.