Wonderwheel not functional on my 2016RTW when using my Nav V from my 2014 R12GSW

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Wonderwheel not functional on my 2016RTW when using my Nav V from my 2014 R12GSW

Post by B787MECH »

Paggers wrote: I can't see BMW making two 2017MY bikes with different onboard computer / software. If yours doesn't have the Nav 5 integration then that strongly suggests to me it's actually a late 2016MY bike. If it was sold to you as a 2017MY bike then you should be having strong words with your dealer.
As I say it was built in Nov 16 and is a 17 spec bike (reflector on forks etc) in Alpine White.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Re: Wonderwheel not functional on my 2016RTW when using my Nav V from my 2014 R12GSW

Post by guest2360 »

In that case your bike has a fault.  I would ask your dealer to obtain in writing from BMW UK that your bike was built without it and that is acceptable to them.
You could also contact BMW Customer Services direct but they might start by directing you back to your dealer.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Paggers wrote: I can't see BMW making two 2017MY bikes with different onboard computer / software. If yours doesn't have the Nav 5 integration then that strongly suggests to me it's actually a late 2016MY bike. If it was sold to you as a 2017MY bike then you should be having strong words with your dealer.

That occurred to me too.  Maybe the software can be updated...
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

Hope I'm not hijacking, OP lmk if I am and i'll start a new thread.

I have a US specd '15, per my dealer, all US bikes are full option.That said my bike is specd w Nav prep and radio, but I dont actually have the Nav V unit. Debating if its worth getting Nav V. So on the RT when you are manipulating the WW with the Nav V installed, what happens at the instrument cluster? Does the WW change both the cluster and Nav simultaneously? If the Nav suspends the WW from controlling the cluster, does radio control and blue tooth function get controlled thru the Nav via the WW. If so, how so when you are using the gps?

Lastly I just checked and no where in my menu is there a selection for "Navigation", yet my bike is prepped for nav. Does "Navigation" show up when the Nav 5 is installed on the bike? Under what menu heading is the "Navigation" selection? I cant find it under info, settings or others.

Thanks
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You should have a small menu card.  This shows all the functions including what the WW will do with the Nav.  It only allows you to zoom the screen or change the pages, i.e. Map, compass etc. 
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

The navigation menu is not available when you do not have a Nav 5 plugged in.

When you do the menu (it sits just above the menu for the heated grips) gives you six options as follows:
  • Page
  • Zoom +
  • Zoom -
  • Speak
  • Mute
  • Display off
This week when riding I realised one fairly major disadvantage of the Nav 5 implementation on the RT compared with the GS. When my phone rings the Nav 5 pops up 'Answer' and 'Decline' buttons. On the GS you can scroll the wonderwheel left or right to select one of these options. On the RT there is no such option, meaning that you would have to touch the screen (which is illegal - comes under the same rules as using your mobile phone while driving) or just leave it to select whichever is the default option. On the occasion when it happened I was able to safely cancel the call but I have since disabled phone calls through the Nav 5 - if I don't have the option to decide whether or not I want to answer them (without taking my hands off the bars) then I would rather not take calls at all.

So for me a definite downside to the RT implementation.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes but on the GS the wheel only works the Nav. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Why is it illegal to touch the screen then? When riding bikes without wonder wheels, you can zoom in and out using the screen on the sat nav. So what is the difference with pushing answer or decline for a phone call. When you have a mobile in a holder or hands free you could use it, as long as you don't hold it.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Also, not sure what comms setup you have, but with my Scala BT headset, to answer a call I just have to either speak or touch the side of the unit on my helmet. And before I get the "wouldn't use a phone on a bike", I don't make calls, but when on a blood bike job, we sometimes get updates on RVs or diverts to other jobs whilst on the move. Not ideal, but there isn't a radio comms network.  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I don't bother but on my  steam driven Autocom dongle if I pair my phone to that I get auto answer and disconnect. Never have to twitch a finger.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: Why is it illegal to touch the screen then? When riding bikes without wonder wheels, you can zoom in and out using the screen on the sat nav. So what is the difference with pushing answer or decline for a phone call. When you have a mobile in a holder or hands free you could use it, as long as you don't hold it.
It's not that clear cut. Technically legislation refers to 'hands free' use, not hand-holding so anything you do that requires you to take your hands off the steering wheel / bars is arguably not 'hands free'. Of course if you take that too far then adjusting the volume on the car stereo is an offence - but then that's why increasingly cars are now fitted with audio controls on the steering wheel and why the RT has the wonderwheel so you can do most things without releasing the bars.

The 'litmus test' that most forces seem to be using is whether or not you are being distracted by the action you are carrying out. That is going to focus more on where your eyes are rather than your hands. Add to that the fact that on the GS you have to lean forward and reach across the bars to reach the screen on the Nav 5 (it's pretty much the same on the RT) then I would not like to have to make an argument in court that I wasn't distracted and that I was paying due care and attention to my riding if I was fiddling with the Sat Nav. There is a reason why all our Garmin devices start up by warning us that we should not be using them while the vehicle to which they are attached is moving.

I realise that the "I can do anything I want because I'm a safe driver and nothing will ever happen while I am in control of a vehicle" crowd will be queuing up to refute this. Knock yourself out. Nothing you say is going to change either my opinion or that of a copper who spots you doing it. If you are happy that you can predict his assessment going in your favour then it's your licence so you are perfectly entitled to ride however you want.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are quite correct in your interpretation.  Anything you do while driving/riding that isn't controlling the vehicle could be considered a distraction by a jobsworth.  Far better to leave such distractions tucked away.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

True, make your own choices. luckily not an issue if you have BT  8)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

And make sure you guys with audio, don't take your hands off the bars to switch your radio on or change input, and be careful if you touch the menu button as your attention will be taken off the road. Or maybe just be sensible ! Lets just start another oil thread or scaffolding thread  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

OK .  MY LC is coming up to 3 years old , has had three oil changes at its services but I have yet to undo the filler to top it up.  Now how many of the classic RTs here can say that.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.