How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MEM62

How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by MEM62 »

How many RT LC owners have had or are having issues with their bikes?

I currently have a 2012 RT and would be open to changing to the newer model but, to be honest, I am put off by the stories of corrosion, oil leaks and other issues.  Are these just so well reported that it gives a false impression of how common these problems are?

OK, mine has not been completely trouble-free but upgrading would need significant investment.     
guest2360

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by guest2360 »

April 2014 build.  Problems NIL. So far managed 2 European tours and 2 Scottish tours plus countless day runs.  Only things replaced have been tyres.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

By any measure the Wetheads have been reporting less problems than the previous generations. By a fairly large measure. Corrosion? I don't see that here and I know several bikes that ride in all conditions. Have yet to hear about oil leaks? Maybe the water pump seeps that are almost always no issue at all. Want to mention serious issues? Well, there are some reports of soft camshafts  out there. These are not leaving owners stranded, but darn sure are not a good sign of quality control! Clunky transmission? I expect they will "clunk" exactly the same as they pass 200,000 miles and beyond. Final drive issues are almost gone, which I consider the MOST important problem BMW was having and have had since the Oilheads.

As many RT's and GS's as are on the road means there will be reports of warranty items and other issues. But I just don't hear much about serious, trip or ride ending issues. Is is that much better than your 2012? Don't know, didn't spend much time around those RT's.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

realshelby wrote: By any measure the Wetheads have been reporting less problems than the previous generations. By a fairly large measure. Corrosion? I don't see that here and I know several bikes that ride in all conditions. Have yet to hear about oil leaks? Maybe the water pump seeps that are almost always no issue at all. Want to mention serious issues? Well, there are some reports of soft camshafts  out there. These are not leaving owners stranded, but darn sure are not a good sign of quality control! Clunky transmission? I expect they will "clunk" exactly the same as they pass 200,000 miles and beyond. Final drive issues are almost gone, which I consider the MOST important problem BMW was having and have had since the Oilheads.

As many RT's and GS's as are on the road means there will be reports of warranty items and other issues. But I just don't hear much about serious, trip or ride ending issues. Is is that much better than your 2012? Don't know, didn't spend much time around those RT's.

I have only heard and seen one soft camshaft incident.  That was on a S1000R.  Never on an RT.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: How many RT LC owners have had or are having issues with their bikes?

I currently have a 2012 RT and would be open to changing to the newer model but, to be honest, I am put off by the stories of corrosion, oil leaks and other issues.  Are these just so well reported that it gives a false impression of how common these problems are?

OK, mine has not been completely trouble-free but upgrading would need significant investment.   

Myself and a mate who has a 2015 model have both had our headers replaced under BMW good will, because the exhaust flap thingy stuck open. Mine had done 6k, my mates 18k. You can live without the flap if they refuse to replace the exhaust or even free it up yourself. Just a crap design.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Sept 2014 LC, 20k miles, problems - None.
Replaced tyres once, next set due soon, and rear pads.
Plus of course plenty of fuel.
Love the bike.
bebebe
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

June 15, only problem, tabs on upper right panel broke replaced by dealer warranty
Easiest Bmw I've had to maintain and service
Jim
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Very pleased with my July 2015  RT - now 7000 miles  Water pump etc replaced because of seal weep. Tab on front right panel broke- my fault.  Touch wood, no signs of corrosion or other problems.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Mine Sept 2014 with 22K on the clock. Problems none. Corrosion none but thats because I having been using my Pan ST1300 during the corrosion season. So far so good.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Simply put. If you ride it (i.e. the LC variant) all weathers and do not apply the likes of ACF-50 or similar, then getting corrosion on engine casings, final drive, rocker covers to name but a few areas, is not uncommon! Switchgear has historically also been an issue with K13, K16 and some RT LC models. Handling, engine reliability and overall performance on my 9000 mile 2015 LC have been great. Long may it continue!! My local Blood Bike group has just taken delivery of a 17 reg Yam FJR. It will be interesting to see how this compares when used in all weathers with umpteen different riders using it!
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

I had an issue that I find disturbing.

2017 R1200RT 3 days old with 582 miles on it. I was stopped at a stop sign and rear ended just enough to drop the bike on it's right side at a stand still. The damage was to the right valve cover, right pannier, rear license plate(broken off), and just a small scratch on the right mirror. When picked up and started the engine fault light was on along with a steady warning light. This only allowed 2000 rpm and not enough power to get it on the trailer.

What disturbs me is .....what if I were far away with no cell service and I drop this bike. I am now stranded completely. I do have a GS911 and will now carry it with me at all times. Otherwise there is no way reset the light. As it turns out the fault was for "throttle calibration"

Something for all to think about.

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would suggest something else was damaged on top of what you could see caused by the rear end shunt.
Hardly a quality or production issue.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Still less than 2k miles on my 2017MY RT so no surprise that I have not had any issues.

Might be worth mentioning that before this I had a 2013 LC GS. I bought it in 2015 and ran it for two years by which point it had done almost 30k miles. I won't claim that it was in pristine condition at that stage - it looked like a bike that had done 30k miles in all weathers - but there were no problems at all with the engine.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Simply put. If you ride it (i.e. the LC variant) all weathers and do not apply the likes of ACF-50 or similar, then getting corrosion on engine casings, final drive, rocker covers to name but a few areas, is not uncommon! Switchgear has historically also been an issue with K13, K16 and some RT LC models. Handling, engine reliability and overall performance on my 9000 mile 2015 LC have been great. Long may it continue!! My local Blood Bike group has just taken delivery of a 17 reg Yam FJR. It will be interesting to see how this compares when used in all weathers with umpteen different riders using it!

Not strictly true, ride mine all year around, no issues with corrosion at all, but it is a 2014 Quartz Blue, so fasted colour and best rust protection.  8)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote:
Not strictly true, ride mine all year around, no issues with corrosion at all, but it is a 2014 Quartz Blue, so fasted colour and best rust protection.  8)
Strange how that came from a fellow cynical and sarcastic Blood biker....!!😉🤔🙂