BMW 1200RT 2007 Ex-police side

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Tigran

BMW 1200RT 2007 Ex-police side

Post by Tigran »

Hi all,

I recently bought an ex-police RT1200, It's had the back of it remade so it has the double seat and looks the same as a standard RT. I would like to install side luggage but I can't seem to find any racks or boxes for sale. Is it possible to add side luggage to this bike or do they just come with the built in stock ones? Apologies if this is a stupid question, i'm new to BMW bikes so i don't really know if you need a rack or something else.

Thanks ;3
guest2360

Re: BMW 1200RT 2007 Ex-police side

Post by guest2360 »

If you look at RealOEM, enter your bikes details and then click on Browse Parts under Frame and Mounting Parts you will see the difference between yours and a non authorities bike.  Think you will discover you need the pannier mounting frames and probably the rear rack assembly if you intend to carry a passenger.  A set of new panniers are very expensive but should be available pre owned.  All RTs are supplied with panniers from new so you won't find any sensible aftermarket ones. There are people here who have made the. conversion so no doubt will,pop,up and help you.
Tigran

Post by Tigran »

Thanks, i did't expect it to be this expensive, seems quite a lot but i guess people don't buy this stuff often. Might have to settle for a big top box and a bag for the passenger seat.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Check that you will be able to open the pannier lid of the RTP as they open upwards from the rear and a topbox may be in the way.