Nov 2015 LC - Corrosion has started !!!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Cleverbee

Nov 2015 LC - Corrosion has started !!!!

Post by Cleverbee »

Can't believe it, my LC has started to bubble up in several places on the upper rear quadrant of the final drive! 
No paint chips or broken paint, just lots of pinhead sized bubbles, mainly near recesses and flanges.
Only done 4360 miles, kept dry and garaged, ringing dealers tomorrow, shall keep you updated.....
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Nov 2015 LC - Corrosion has started !!!!

Post by Steve F »

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem on the LC machines (and was the same on my previous K13GT!!). The dealer should not quibble over this with a manufacturer's warranty still in force, and should just do a straight replacement. I recently had my RH rocker box cover replaced on my 2015 RT because of corrosion bubbles present. My final drive is just starting to show the all too familiar corrosion rash as well....!! One bubble thus far!!
Good luck and stand your ground should the dealer get slippery. Who's the dealer in question?
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Astle, aka Marshals of Grimsby, been good to me so far, then again after spending £20k with them, that's what I deserve....
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Just noticed corrosion on the lower fairing brackets of my 2012 RT SE.  Disappointing for a garaged bike that doesn't see the worst winter weather.  At least I can take them off and have them powder coated, which I will be doing this weekend. 
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Cleverbee wrote: Astle, aka Marshals of Grimsby, been good to me so far, then again after spending £20k with them, that's what I deserve....

Not one I personally know. Out of interest, I gave the RT a good spring clean today removing all the crud and the ACF-50 residue from the winter riding. I must say that ACF-50 goo on the whole works very well. I painted it on with two applications, firstly last October and then again in January.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Coated my 2014 in ACF50 but the corrosion comes from inside the finish - it is a design flaw - reported whilst still in warranty but Dicklovetts of Bristol did nothing. I'll ride her till she drops but the next bike wont be a BMW - shame as otherwise I love the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

steve.sharkey wrote: Coated my 2014 in ACF50 but the corrosion comes from inside the finish - it is a design flaw - reported whilst still in warranty but Dicklovetts of Bristol did nothing. I'll ride her till she drops but the next bike wont be a BMW - shame as otherwise I love the bike.

If you have documentary proof that you reporting the corrosion within the  2 years warranty period pass it to BMW Customer Support.  Is there a reason you didn't get really upset at the time. 
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

steve.sharkey wrote: Coated my 2014 in ACF50 but the corrosion comes from inside the finish - it is a design flaw - reported whilst still in warranty but Dicklovetts of Bristol did nothing. I'll ride her till she drops but the next bike wont be a BMW - shame as otherwise I love the bike.

If you're talking about your first claim under the 2 yr OEM warranty, then Lovetts are obliged to do something to rectify the situation. Even if you're into the follow-on extended BMW Insured Warranty, they will still look into it. I'm curious as I use Lovetts regularly for servicing, purchase of my current 2015 R12RT LC, and many other minor accessory purchases along the way, and I have always found the Service Desk to be more than accommodating throughout.