How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
steve.sharkey

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by steve.sharkey »

Steve F wrote: I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. You say that you didn't insist on replacement....of what exactly, a specific component that was corroding, or several bits?
Of the parts that imho were corroding under the fancy coating when supplied. As a second hand bike it only had 1 year warranty and it only became evident after that year.

Otherwise I love the bike, just needed better QC on parts. As for tyres I love the feel of the RP4s just inconvenient for longer tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Approved Used Warranty which I think you must have had doesn't cover corrosion.  You should check the first registration date of your bike.  If it was before 6 June 14 the bike would have been recalled for a shock rebuild.  That took 3 months to fix and all such bikes had their original warranty extended by 3 months.  That might put it into the period you noticed problems.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Oh nearly forgot the right left action of the multi purpose switch controller thing stopped working some time ago but the dealer replaced this foc!

As it appears to have been overlooked from my first post I will repeat: it's the best bike I've ever had and corrosion aside I would chose it again but might have been persuaded by the dealer to go the lease route so the corrosion thing was also their problem. I love my bike hence 2 years 1 month = 23,000+ miles!

mannylasker

Post by mannylasker »

July 2015, nearly 30,000 kilometres, driven in all conditions, no issues, no corrosion. Tire replacement only. Fantastic bike.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

July 16 build.  No faults - brilliant bike.  My K13 had been back three times by now.
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

2014, 23k miles ridden all year round in Washington DC as my commuter bike.  Not one issue to report.
2014 R1200RT
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Jan 2016 model, 41,000km on the clock at the moment. At 30,000km had to get the weeping left hand fork seal replaced under warranty. At 40,000km right hand fork seal started weeping - also replaced under warranty. Water pump seal weeped until about 7,000km - no discernible fluid drop in the radiator reservoir. These have been the only minor irritations, otherwise happy as a pig in s%#t with the bike!!
2016 San Marino Blue
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Thanks for the feedback guys.  It's particularly interesting to read the responses of those that have covered a good few miles.  Next time I visit my dealer I might test-ride an LC.   
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My 2017MY is going in for it's first service tomorrow and I'll be pointing out the rust on the rear disc and on the centre stand ..... a little disappointing :(
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The central bar on the stand gets battered by road grime off the from tyre.  Is that where yours is showing rust. Fixed mine with a thick coat of black Hammerite.  Can't comment on the disc except to say on mine if I wash it and put it away with the discs wet they will be red in the morning. First time you brake its gone
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: The central bar on the stand gets battered by road grime off the from tyre.  Is that where yours is showing rust. Fixed mine with a thick coat of black Hammerite.  Can't comment on the disc except to say on mine if I wash it and put it away with the discs wet they will be red in the morning. First time you brake its gone

Yes, the central bar is where the rust is showing and yes it's in the line of fire for everything coming off the front tyre. But no, I don't think it's acceptable that it's down to bare metal and rusting in 600 miles. My previous RT did over 30,000 miles and showed less rust. If Hammerite is the answer then BMW should apply it in the factory.
I agree with what you say about the pad area of the disc, but it's the radial arms inboard of the pad area which are badly rusted. I haven't seen that before on a BMW or any other bike at such a low mileage.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It will be interesting to hear what the dealer does about your brake disc.  I never had any rust on my previous non LC stands although both my 1600s did.  With them I slid a plastic tube over the centre bar to stop any chips. Hammerite was an easier option on the LC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: It will be interesting to hear what the dealer does about your brake disc. ..... 

Stand "likely" to be replaced. Photos of disc and stand taken by dealer to be sent to BMW for decision.
Bike is great - had a short run after collection from service (£158 😙),then home to be cleaned (I asked the dealer not to jet wash it) and now in it's garage.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds promising.  You will still need to do something to the new stand though to stop a repeat performance.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Sounds promising.  You will still need to do something to the new stand though to stop a repeat performance.

Have BMW changed their paint application since 2014? Just checked my bike stand and its fine and I haven't put Hammerite on it. Maybe the front mud guard extender keeps a lot of debris off the stand. Seems to be a lot of corrosion issues with both the RTs and GS bikes. it could always be actually not be as bad, as we only hear about the ones people report on forums, vs the 1000s of owners who have no issues.