Blind spot mirrors ... Yay or nay?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
stayingupright

Blind spot mirrors ... Yay or nay?

Post by stayingupright »

Tempted to get the little sticky ones to go in the corner of my mirrors.

Unless someone has a better idea.

It also does not have to be BMW badged or approved.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Re: Blind spot mirrors ... Yay or nay?

Post by guest2360 »

Would you believe BMW make no such thing which means they consider then unnecessary.  They do of course obscure your true rear view where you attach them.  I'm sure millions will tell you they are wonderful and vital.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

stayingupright wrote: Tempted to get the little sticky ones to go in the corner of my mirrors.

Unless someone has a better idea.

It also does not have to be BMW badged or approved.
Nothing against the blindspot mirrors, but to me, nothing replaces turning your head to look.  The RT mirrors aren't huge, I would be hesitant to give up the real-estate by placing something else on them.
BMW MOA #210438
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Nothing should ever replace a lifesaver but other views cannot hurt.

Someone came up with a novel solution .. https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-lc-2014-on/mirror-adaptors-pair-r1200rt-lc
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've got two round ones that the previous owner put on the mirrors. They help, but don't rely on them, Always do a life saver, but even a life saver won't catch something right in your blindspot, unless you can swivel your neck like the exorcist.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: I've got two round ones that the previous owner put on the mirrors. They help, but don't rely on them, Always do a life saver, but even a life saver won't catch something right in your blindspot, unless you can swivel your neck like the exorcist.

A hair dryer set to hot and some gentle lifting should soon return your mirrors to normal.  WD40 will get rid of any leftover goo. 😄
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

How about the Roderscan mirror? Ugly and expensive (£40+), but apparently quite effective.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sullivj wrote: How about the Roderscan mirror? Ugly and expensive (£40+),but apparently quite effective.

It's definitely one of the two - the other I'm not so sure about...

;-)
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Sullivj wrote: How about the Roderscan mirror? Ugly and expensive (£40+),but apparently quite effective.

I did have a good look at these when I was looking to buy the bike. I think they are a great idea but they are made of plastic which puts me off. How long before the surface would be useless because it got scratched?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And is it possible to see what's in front of you.  Ridiculous bit of kit. And every time you move the screen.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I can't think of anything more distacting than a big mirror on the screen.
Apart from that it looks hideous.

LarryBud49

Post by LarryBud49 »

I just added handlebar mirrors from Wunderlich.  Little pricy, but I like where they sit, give me good view of rear.  My 2008 has two holes made for mirrors on the handlebars, although left one took a little sanding to fit in (instructions warned some models required this).  I sit tall and these fall right where I see them without having to remember did I look recently. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Wunderlich has mirrors for the 14 and up RT, I've a pair on my 14 used silicone adhesive to attach. They help with blind spots, beacause of there gold tint they cut reflections a great amount. They are $$$ but glad I have them
FYI they cover the entire mirror
Jim
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

T6pilot wrote: Wunderlich has mirrors for the 14 and up RT, I've a pair on my 14 used silicone adhesive to attach. They help with blind spots, beacause of there gold tint they cut reflections a great amount. They are $$$ but glad I have them
FYI they cover the entire mirror

One hundred Euros for the pair, plus shipping from Germany (plus supply your own glue !).
They look good, but not that good .....  😊
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
LAF

Post by LAF »

Here is what I use.

It came from here:http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23554&Number=245347#Post245347

Best 70 dollars I ever spent!