How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by guest2360 »

I think it's more to do with your local council than the paint.  If they are fond of re gravelling the roads no paint will survive.  My GTL with no extender fender got more of a bashing than my RT which has a Pyramid extender fitted.
One of my friends with a GSA came up with the ultimate solution.  He cut out the central bar and replaced it with a stainless steel one.  He is a professional welder though.  You can inspect his handy work in May.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: ..... Maybe the front mud guard extender keeps a lot of debris off the stand. Seems to be a lot of corrosion issues with both the RTs and GS bikes. it could always be actually not be as bad, as we only hear about the ones people report on forums, vs the 1000s of owners who have no issues.
I have a fender extender fitted to the front mudguard, but the centre stand is still filthy after every ride. If it was on a bike out of warranty I would rub it down, paint it with Hammerite and try some of this stuff -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-15-6cm-W ... 1648645432 to see if it could be made to fit and give some mechanical protection.
Similarly, on a bike out of warranty I would get to work on the brake disc with a wire brush and consider a coat of grey primer.
These aren't big issues, just annoying on a new, very expensive, bike. If these are the biggest issues I ever have they won't put me off buying another RT. ^-^
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I used a bit of pipe off the back of an old washing machine.  I did worry a bit that the rod might corrode inside the pipe so Hammerite seems a better option.  Nothing has so far got through it in 9K.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I used a bit of pipe off the back of an old washing machine.  I did worry a bit that the rod might corrode inside the pipe so Hammerite seems a better option.  Nothing has so far got through it in 9K.

9k, I've caught you up mileage wise now :) Or was that 9k since your mod
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No that's it.  545 miles  on it when I eventually got it in the road in Sep 14.  It only gets used for long haul stuff and  the occasional blast in the Peaks.
Pete1200

How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by Pete1200 »

I have been experiencing "whitelining " with both Metzeler Z08  and Pilot 4 GTs. This seems to be a little better now the weather is a bit warmer but still not inspiring confidence. This is on a 2015 LC with full luggage. Not a hard rider getting over 50 mpg and expecting good mileage from the tyres.
It's particularly noticeable on longitudinal road defects on a neutral throttle, at low speeds. It's not something I had noticed on my GSs.
Anyone else finding the same?
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When they are worn out swap to Metzeler Roadtec 01s.  Like being on rails.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pete1200 wrote: I have been experiencing "whitelining " with both Metzeler Z08  and Pilot 4 GTs. This seems to be a little better now the weather is a bit warmer but still not inspiring confidence. This is on a 2015 LC with full luggage. Not a hard rider getting over 50 mpg and expecting good mileage from the tyres.
It's particularly noticeable on longitudinal road defects on a neutral throttle, at low speeds. It's not something I had noticed on my GSs.
Anyone else finding the same?

Nope, ride all year around, on my second set of PR4GT, couldn't be more pleased with the tyres. Haven't had any handling issues or moments in the 7k I've done since last Jan :)
Taz

Post by Taz »

As others have mentioned above, my 16 plate LC was bought with only 1,700 miles on it (ex BMW staff bike) and the centre bar on the main stand is showing lots of red rust spots.  Taking a lead from you guys, I have taken some photos and sent them to the dealer (which is 140 miles away) for his review.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTman10 wrote: When they are worn out swap to Metzeler Roadtec 01s. Like being on rails.
+1 I'm a "life long" Michelin PR2/3/4 fan, recently tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01s and they are a world ahead...  Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Careful Peter.  It won't be long before you are warned about fitting non recommended tyres. Seemed to recall that happened to me.  Mine have now done about 4K.  They still have a new look about them.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Careful Peter.  It won't be long before you are warned about fitting non recommended tyres. Seemed to recall that happened to me.  Mine have now done about 4K.  They still have a new look about them.

Thats because they have been in the garage all winter  8)  i would try anything if I was upset with the performance of the PR4, but I like them at the moment.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No, Kiwi in a tin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: No, Kiwi in a tin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8)  Brown or black?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the subject of the centre stand horizontal bar, I've tried the Hammerite Smooth paint, but this still gets "pitted".

Last year, before tucking the bike away for the winter, rubbed it down to bare, clean metal, applied some more paint, then recently covered it with some 20mm ID black plastic tube.
Could always slap a load of ACF-50 on before putting the tube on.

I have seen an engineering solution on a.n.other RT which has a deflector fitted beneath the engine.

If it wasn't such a chew to remove & refit the centre stand, I'd have it powder coated.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.