Blind spot mirrors ... Yay or nay?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
gogs01

Re: Blind spot mirrors ... Yay or nay?

Post by gogs01 »

LAF wrote: Here is what I use.
It came from here:https://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23554&Number=245347#Post245347
Best 70 dollars I ever spent!
Any chance of a photo or description ?  I can't open that link.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: Any chance of a photo or description ?  I can't open that link.

They are two weird wing mirrors mounted on the ends of the bars, the arms of the mirrors facing inwards. Looks like they are on a pre LC bike.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Here the picture for those that can't open it

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

This is getting to be even funnier than the threads about colours and scaffolding.

I count seven rear-view mirrors on that bike - and apparently you need a grinder of some description to fit some of them!

Still, they only increase the width of the (already very wide) bike by 4 inches, so I guess it's not all bad news.

If this post were 9 days into the future, I'd understand.

Am I the only one who thinks that the combination of the RT's stock mirrors and my ability to turn my head from time to time give me near-perfect rear vision?

:alas: :alas: :alas:
LAF

Post by LAF »

Well funny or not they work way better than spot mirrors and 100 times better than the stock mirrors. 

You can actually see behind you.

For 68 dollars to you door they are way cheaper than any other mirror solution and they eliminate the need for spot mirrors.

As far as a grinder you need a dremel tool to grind a bit of the metal away so it flushes up on the bar end.

They can be adjusted out even or level or can be spun upside down if you want true bar end mirrors and still out perform the stock mirrors in ability to see behind you.

The DO NOT VIBRATE and rock steady to see in.  The finish is second to none and no wear at all in 2+ years.

As to 8 mirrors on the bike it was the guys progression to be able to see behind him which these mirrors solved completely so he could remove the other 4 spot mirrors.  It is stated in the write up.

The person asked and I shared what many of us have done over the years to see.

They beat hands down any spot mirror and if 2" on each side of the bike makes or breaks you you can flip them around and down and they are out of your way so you get by your hang up of 4".

I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you think all I know is what works.  Function over forum always works for me.
LAF

Post by LAF »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The alternative is of course to buy an LC next time.  Was that design not nicked off pre 1960s bikes.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: The alternative is of course to buy an LC next time.  Was that design not nicked off pre 1960s bikes.

Or just try turning your head occasionally. Like I said I have spot mirrors, which I never use, as you have to concentrate on the small spot mirrors to check. When riding the normal mirrors are fine for seeing what is behind, then when doing a manoeuvre a quick look over your shoulder is enough. Each to their own though. You could always fit scaffolding and mirrors on that, then you could be like a 60s Lambretta  8)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Casbar wrote:
Or just try turning your head occasionally. Like I said I have spot mirrors, which I never use, as you have to concentrate on the small spot mirrors to check. When riding the normal mirrors are fine for seeing what is behind, then when doing a manoeuvre a quick look over your shoulder is enough. Each to their own though. You could always fit scaffolding and mirrors on that, then you could be like a 60s Lambretta  8)
They work very nicely on my 15 RT thank you very much.

I never change lanes with out turning my head to look, never.

I do not need spot mirrors as these are my main mirrors.

Are you guys little people?  The reason I ask is I can not see past my forearms and shoulders looking in the stock mirrors, what do you guys see?

Do you ever haul a roll bag on the back seat when on trips?

What about if you have a passenger? 

I mean you are telling me after a LT needing new mirrors, and now a LC needing new mirrors, that the stock mirrors work to perfection?  As you yourself has said you have spot mirrors,why?  Not sure I have seen too many LC with out spot mirrors on them.  That tells me people are not seeing well out of the perfect stock mirror and looking for more.  Hence this thread.

Each to their own.

Some people like chocolate, and some people like vanilla.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am ok with anyone using blind spot mirrors or additional, bar mounted mirrors (or anything else).
My own experience is that I can see as much, or more, to my rear with the standard RT mirrors than I did with any of the many and varied Japanese and British bikes I previously owned (I'm 5'10" with 32" inside leg and often carry a pillion, but no roll bag). I have also learned over the years that a shoulder check before starting off, overtaking or changing lanes is pretty much essential and I find myself doing it in the car too.
I hope nobody has issue with my opinion / experience just as I have none with anyone else's. :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With the exception of Caspar (who didn't fit them in the first place) never seen an LC with them.  The mirrors on the LC are hugely better than earlier models and if a bit of time is taken adjusting them all that's ever needed is a quick twist of the head.  But as has been said earlier, each to his own. 

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

LAF wrote: They work very nicely on my 15 RT thank you very much.

I never change lanes with out turning my head to look, never.

I do not need spot mirrors as these are my main mirrors.

Are you guys little people?  The reason I ask is I can not see past my forearms and shoulders looking in the stock mirrors, what do you guys see?

Do you ever haul a roll bag on the back seat when on trips?

What about if you have a passenger? 

I mean you are telling me after a LT needing new mirrors, and now a LC needing new mirrors, that the stock mirrors work to perfection?  As you yourself has said you have spot mirrors,why?  Not sure I have seen too many LC with out spot mirrors on them.  That tells me people are not seeing well out of the perfect stock mirror and looking for more.  Hence this thread.

Each to their own.

I have spot mirrors, because they were on the mirrors when I bought the bike, so previous two owners put them on, who managed to cover less than 2k between them, so probably didn't need mirrors anyway  8)  I really can't say I've noticed any issues with the bits of the mirrors I can see and a quick check over the shoulder is enough. But as you say each to their own  :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

LAF wrote:

PS I like both  8)
ITB

Post by ITB »

Spot mirrors have been essential on all the RTs I've owned, including my 2016.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

ITB wrote: Spot mirrors have been essential on all the RTs I've owned, including my 2016.

Probably lost over the pond but got to do it.  Should have gone to Specsavers.