Top case and panniers ... How much can they take?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
stayingupright

Top case and panniers ... How much can they take?

Post by stayingupright »

I ended up doing a bit of shopping after a ride out today and probably put more in the top case than I should have done.

It got me thinking about my holiday tour in June and how much I could safely put in them.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Re: Top case and panniers ... How much can they take?

Post by guest2360 »

The answer is.  Until no more will go in.  Just make sure you push the two halves fully together before pushing down the flap. If you use inner bags there should be no loose bits to get jammed.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: The answer is.  Until no more will go in.  Just make sure you push the two halves fully together before pushing down the flap. If you use inner bags there should be no loose bits to get jammed.
Erm! Yes, but weight and balance does actually play a part here....🙄 When I pack my LC with the full suite of luggage fitted, I always ensure the weight hangs low (in the panniers) to aid c of g and endeavour to keep the top box weight minimal but full. In addition, I fit a roll bag/grip across the seat, immediately in front of the top box, but not stuffed with anything heavy.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: Erm! Yes, but weight and balance does actually play a part here....🙄 When I pack my LC with the full suite of luggage fitted, I always ensure the weight hangs low (in the panniers) to aid c of g and endeavour to keep the top box weight minimal but full. In addition, I fit a roll bag/grip across the seat, immediately in front of the top box, but not stuffed with anything heavy.

Of course, heavy stuff lowest and evenly distributed.  But you don't need to worry about damaging the lids or locks.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, for once both top box and pannier lids, locks and latches appear to be fit for purpose.......did I really say that....??!!🤔😉
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

stayingupright wrote:
It got me thinking about my holiday tour in June and how much I could safely put in them.

Last year it was enough for 2 people for 4 weeks (including a tankbag)

John Bentall
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Last few years weve been touring on Rt and K1600 and I normally weigh the inner bags when full. Usually about 7 kg in each pannier bag. About 5 kg in top box bag and a couple kg in tank bag. Last year had rack on topbox with a Kreiga 20 which had wet gear plus the  wifes shoes ,spare gloves etc.
Never had any issues with handling etc. although getting a fully loaded k1600 onto centre stand can be a challenge :o .
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

tony23 wrote: Last few years weve been touring on Rt and K1600 and I normally weigh the inner bags when full. Usually about 7 kg in each pannier bag. About 5 kg in top box bag and a couple kg in tank bag. Last year had rack on topbox with a Kreiga 20 which had wet gear plus the  wifes shoes ,spare gloves etc.
Never had any issues with handling etc. although getting a fully loaded k1600 onto centre stand can be a challenge :o .

Had not thought about getting some cheap luggage scales but it might not be a bad idea. Thanks
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stayingupright wrote:
Had not thought about getting some cheap luggage scales but it might not be a bad idea. Thanks

High tech method. 
1.  Fill both pannier.
2.  Place one in each hand and pick up.
3.  Adjust contents until they both feel the same.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Yes, enough for a tour for two people to Chinquee Terre and also a smooth ride full loaded on the way back over Stelvio.
[attach=1]
Not a big deal, all heavy stuff in bottles, oh sorry meant of course in the bottom ;)
Attachments
D2O.jpg
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Both the Panniers and Topcase are rated at 10kg / 22lbs each. Maximum speed not to exceed 110 mph. Good points made (RT man) regarding making sure lids are fully closed prior to pressing down locking lever otherwise damage can occur. Never actually weighed my own stuff but as with all of my BMW tourers past and present I do find the more you load them up, the more planted they feel. During my regular Autumn run down to Provence I bring back 6 bottles in each pannier snuggly surrounded by jeans, shorts, socks, pants and shirts etc. As this trip is usually solo the Top Case is left at home.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Now here I can help, I have a very basic taste in wine and on my annual trip to Spain I loaded up with a cheap robust little Rioca. This came in one litre tetra pacs and I was able to load up the panniers with a pretty large quantity, can't remember quite how many but when the bike was fired up the pannier symbols on the dash lit up in red, I changed it to the 2 up setting and all was well. Lighter stuff like dirty underwear was stored higher up in the top box and a bag on the back seat.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I know a chap who, on a four week tour, used to use his worn undies to clean off brake dust etc then bin them.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Oh dear.  Did you read the post from Steiner this morning about changing the subject. Now we used to take worn out ones so we could chuck them.  I find back wheels are better cleaned with hotel hand towels.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Oh dear.  Did you read the post from Steiner this morning about changing the subject. Now we used to take worn out ones so we could chuck them.  I find back wheels are better cleaned with hotel hand towels.

Yes, now back on subject as directed! Panniers two on the side, top box, one on the top. Fill them enjoy. Is that good enough  8)