oil on cluctch

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
nibiker

oil on cluctch

Post by nibiker »

hi, my bike is an 05 r1200rt there seems to be a bit of clutch slipping. Can anyone explain how oil gets on the clutch plate, im looking to fix this myself so any information is great thanks.
guest2360

Re: oil on cluctch

Post by guest2360 »

It gets there if a seals leaks either on the gearbox or the engine.  The only cure is a new clutch plate.  Check under the clutch housing to see if it's at all oily.  If it's totally dry it's more likely after 12 years to be just worn out. It's a big job to replace it.
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

RTman10 wrote: It gets there if a seals leaks either on the gearbox or the engine.  The only cure is a new clutch plate.  Check under the clutch housing to see if it's at all oily.  If it's totally dry it's more likely after 12 years to be just worn out. It's a big job to replace it.

It is Idd a big Job to replace it ..

Did mine this weekends after 45 000 miles .. mainly done in city for the last year ...

My Thoughts?
Take pictures (loads)
Dont do it on your own ( I  did and it a pain in the arse, have someone to assist you )
Make sure you have the right tools before you start it.
There is a screw under the clutch attached to the frame .. took me  one day before i found out i missed one screw be

Be confident

And do it at low pace :D

SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
nibiker

Post by nibiker »

Thanks for the information, its a big job but if i take my time i could do it, iv never done a clutch before.