DIY Clutch Change

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
choogh

DIY Clutch Change

Post by choogh »

My R1200rt with 35k miles seemingly needs a replacement clutch. Has anyone here done that as a DIY project?
Midland Police produced a short video (YouTube) of their technicians doing a change in 12 hours. They did not remove the rear wheel and drive system as per Haynes manual.
Any ideas on how they did it and what actually needed to be removed before access to the clutch?
Help and ideas most appreciated.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: DIY Clutch Change

Post by TJRL »

Not really any help in answering the questions asked, but my 2008 RT needed a new clutch at 18k miles and the dealership said it required "breaking the bile in half" to do. It cost an arm and a leg and my carefully made up auxiliary wiring loom (for additional lights, Autocom etc.) was just cut in numerous places and had to be completely remade. >:(

I vowed then never to buy a bike again where changing the clutch was so difficult (and I was not even doing the work!).

Good luck and hats off to you for giving it a go.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you Google GS1200 dry clutch removal you should find some videos and how too. I'm sure I have seen pictures of a GS in two halves. The RT cannot be much different. Good luck.
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

choogh wrote: My R1200rt with 35k miles seemingly needs a replacement clutch. Has anyone here done that as a DIY project?
Midland Police produced a short video (YouTube) of their technicians doing a change in 12 hours. They did not remove the rear wheel and drive system as per Haynes manual.
Any ideas on how they did it and what actually needed to be removed before access to the clutch?
Help and ideas most appreciated.

you will need to split the bike ..
advise .. dont do it on your own .
be patient .. you will need ... be extremely careful with the the throttle and break cables. ( i messed up with mine)
For the first time . wont be easy .in the end you will be happy.

Good luck
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

gou can do it
Attachments
20170325_131304.jpg
choogh

Post by choogh »

Bike rear end off, and I now have access to the clutch, this after less than 6 hours work, I even took the rear end off without assistance, it really is not at all difficult, however, having the proper tools helps it's not a plastic knife and fork job !!!
So, next week I'll open up the clutch and find the fault(s). For now, its weekend and off boating.😁👌
choogh

Post by choogh »

New clutch installed and tested,gearbox installed, starter motor installed top bellhousing cover installed, all made ready for mating of the rear wheel frame and driveshafts tomorrow
Hope to be mobile again after this weekend, as we re off boating tomorrow afternoon.
Total cost thus far. £245:00 to include lubes, grease, paints, consumables and Clutch, plus refurbishment of driveshaft.
Big, Big saving..
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sounds like you've been having fun and I bet you have learnt a lot on the way. When its back on the road you will be well chuffed.
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

choogh wrote: New clutch installed and tested,gearbox installed, starter motor installed top bellhousing cover installed, all made ready for mating of the rear wheel frame and driveshafts tomorrow
Hope to be mobile again after this weekend, as we re off boating tomorrow afternoon.
Total cost thus far. £245:00 to include lubes, grease, paints, consumables and Clutch, plus refurbishment of driveshaft.
Big, Big saving..

That is the way
miles on it
choogh

Post by choogh »

[size=12px]All done , tested and working.. [/size][size=12px][size=12px]Total cost around £250. to include gearbox and final drive oil change, new brake pads all round, spit and a polish... [/size][size=12px][size=12px]Total time. Around 18hrs, but as single crew and without any assistance, I feel it could be done a few hours quicker. [/size][size=12px][size=12px]And... I had no fasterners left over, or had to buy any...it's a first!!!!! [/size][size=12px][size=12px]If anyone has a clutch problem. Go do it yourself, it's not difficult, just a lot of messing, but in the final analysis, it's simply a nuts and bolts job [/size]
[size=12px]
[/size]